Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

There is no salary whilst training, unless the trainee is on the GTP programme.

Then they wouldn't have signed up to PGCE, would they?

Trainee Chemistry teachers get a bursary, but they would get a good deal more working in the chemical industry.

I think a great many students see teaching as a last resort when they've failed to get anything else, which is entirely the wrong attitude. They get an enormous shock when they see how much work it involves and how difficult it is to do that work. The stress is incredible so they leave.

Teaching requires dedication, flair, energy, and a capacity to deal with stress and exhaustion in equal measure. Even the best teachers crumple eventually. Very few teachers in the profession reach sixty, most have gone before then.

Heaven knows how they'll manage if the retirement age goes up to 66.

Guest sibon
I think a great many students see teaching as a last resort when they've failed to get anything else, which is entirely the wrong attitude. They get an enormous shock when they see how much work it involves and how difficult it is to do that work. The stress is incredible so they leave.

I do a fair bit of work with secondary PGCE students and I must say that this isn't my impression. The standard of trainees has been steadily rising for some time. The recession does have an impact and some trainees are just there because they have no other options.

On the whole though, I see a lot of high quality trainees and newly qualified teachers.

The job does knock the stuffing out of them though.

Archived