Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

Who is to blame for the sick leave?

Easy - the teachers themselves (the ones who throw sick)

If the cause of the sickness is down to stress, then perhaps they are not up to the job. They can then create a vacancy for one of the supply teachers

4.5 days per year doesn't sound as high as I would expect, considering the environment they work in. Especially considering examples like Medusa's.

I admit it is from a few years ago but private sector employees were taking 4 days a year off sick in small companies and 7 days a year off in big ones 5 years ago. I doubt much will have changed.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2006/e06073.htm

I think it is remarkable teachers take so little time off sick.

Guest sibon

Ignoring the trolling of sues budgie (should that be trilling?). There seems to be a level of understanding that teaching is a stressful job. That contributes to the amount of sick leave.

The other major factor is the environment. Pack 1000 teenagers into a poorly ventilated building and watch in amazement as the various bacteria and viruses spread amongst the population. I imagine that pupil attendance rates are below those of teachers, indicating that there is quite a high background level of illness in schools.

Don't forget that a fair chunk of the supply bill will have nothing to do with teachers being ill. When they are doing anything else at all, their classroom time needs covering. So some of that supply budget is to provide for trips, visits, interviews, attending training courses etc.

Who is to blame for the sick leave?

Easy - the teachers themselves (the ones who throw sick)

If the cause of the sickness is down to stress, then perhaps they are not up to the job. They can then create a vacancy for one of the supply teachers

:hihi::hihi: I'm sure somewhere once you said you were a college lecturer or something of the sort! If so, then you'd surely know that the majority of supply teachers have opted to do so as they do not want the stress of teaching day in and day out.

:hihi::hihi: I'm sure somewhere once you said you were a college lecturer or something of the sort! If so, then you'd surely know that the majority of supply teachers have opted to do so as they do not want the stress of teaching day in and day out.

...or perhaps they can't get a permanent job because of the permanent staff who forever throw sick.

Does anyone who goes into teaching seriously expect model pupils in this day and age? do you seriously expect to get backup from authoritys, or your heads if you need them?

Anyone who goes into teaching must be fully aware of what the job is, and classroom discipline is not how it was 20 or 30 years ago. Should a teacher attempt to bring discipline, then he or she may end up with the police investigating them

This is teaching in modern Britain, if you can't deal with it then leave the profession

Out of interest, what is the sick rate among the supply teachers?

I'm guessing very low, because if they don't work then they don't get paid

You should know as you were saying on another thread that you're an F.E. lecturer

Archived