Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

For a first hand explanation of why, as the byline says 'nearly half of all newly qualified teachers leave the profession within five years' please read on....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/16/teaching-problem-schools

If people were employed in factories that were emitting toxic chemicals that were poisoning their employees or working on a building site that had poor Health and Safety then maybe people would be more understanding - but because stress is psychological people are quick to point the accusing finger and balme the victim.

I agree, you need to be robust to be a teacher - but anyone, no matter how strong, couldn't put up with the abuse & villification that some teachers face examples of which are in the article above.

Simple saying 'the teachers can't cope' totally misunderstands the situation

December 30, 2008

15,000 teachers call in sick every day

More than 311,000 teachers took authorised sick leave last year, resulting in the loss of nearly 3,000,000 working days

There are many hard working teachers, they love to teach and still go in to work when they are ill, there are teachers that are not cut out to teach, they leave the school short of teachers by taking months off due to stress, if they can’t cope with the stress of teaching then it’s time to find a new career.

Should people who live in an area blighted by anti social behaviour either put up or leave? No, you work with the police to reduce the behaviour

Guest sibon
December 30, 2008

More than 311,000 teachers took authorised sick leave last year, resulting in the loss of nearly 3,000,000 working days

There are many hard working teachers, they love to teach and still go in to work when they are ill, there are teachers that are not cut out to teach, they leave the school short of teachers by taking months off due to stress, if they can’t cope with the stress of teaching then it’s time to find a new career.

Did you miss the bit in your link that said:

The Department for Children, Schools and Families, said that teacher sickness rates were low and stable and “well within industry norms”.

Or the bit that said:

A government source said that, given that teachers come into close daily contact with scores of children, often in over-heated and airless classrooms, they were likely to be exposed to far greater levels of infection than the average office worker.

Come to think of it, do you have any figures for the numbers of teachers off with stress? Or those on long term sick leave? Can you provide comparative data with other professions? Do you know the long term trends?

I await your input, with considerable interest.

Perhaps we need to look at the callibre of people who sign up to the PGCE.

Perhaps the degree entry is wrong, perhaps select the candidates for teacher training on other criteria?

If people are leaving in droves, then they were never up to the job in the first place

December 30, 2008

What are your qualifications to make such a pronouncement?

I take it you have not got children who come home and tell you Mrs/Mr X if off on sick leave, so we have had Mrs/Mr Y who is a supply teacher and does not know us or our coursework progression? It seems fairly common in some schools.

Guest sibon

Simple saying 'the teachers can't cope' totally misunderstands the situation

It suggests that the situation has to change. I've seen some very robust people driven away from teaching by the way that they are expected to work.

It is probably worth stating here that the majority of schools are good places to be. The stress factories are the ones in our most difficult communities. Which makes it even more important that we encourage good teachers to work there.

Guest sibon
I take it you have not got children who come home and tell you Mrs/Mr X if off on sick leave, so we have had Mrs/Mr Y who is a supply teacher and does not know us or our coursework progression? It seems fairly common in some schools.

I'm a bit closer to it than that:)

I know that sick leave and continuity are a problem, but not in the way that some are agitating about on this thread.

You are right about "some schools" though. It isn't the case in all schools, or even most schools.

In most schools, good management is enough to solve the problem.

I'm a bit closer to it than that:)

I know that sick leave and continuity are a problem, but not in the way that some are agitating about on this thread.

You are right about "some schools" though. It isn't the case in all schools, or even most schools.

In most schools, good management is enough to solve the problem.

So why aren't all Sheffield schools getting the good management they deserve? Is it a funding problem or discriminating problem?

Guest sibon
So why aren't all Sheffield schools getting the good management they deserve? Is it a funding problem or discriminating problem?

Much the same reason as some areas don't all get the law and order that they deserve. Or the life expectancy. It has nothing to do with funding but a lot to do with opportunities and aspirations.

S2 and S11 might as well be different countries. Until someone wakes up to this fact and looks for radical solutions, the problems will persist and probably worsen.

What are your qualifications to make such a pronouncement?

You don't need any qualifications to reach that conclusion.

that 'rule' applies to every job from binman to astronaut. can't do the job, won't do the job then leave.

I don't think anyone is attacking the genuine sick. 'throwing a sickie' is not being sick.

If it stresses you out so much being a teacher that you have to take time off work, from being a teacher then you probably shouldn't be a teacher anymore.

Archived