Teachers and Sick Leave..

Who's to blame for teacher sickness?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for teacher sickness?

• Teachers
    • Kids
    • Politicians
    • Parents

Much the same reason as some areas don't all get the law and order that they deserve. Or the life expectancy. It has nothing to do with funding but a lot to do with opportunities and aspirations.

S2 and S11 might as well be different countries. Until someone wakes up to this fact and looks for radical solutions, the problems will persist and probably worsen.

As I have children who are at a school in S2, I think it is more to do with aspirations than opportunities. The radical solution may be that the child is sent to a school on ability and aptitude rather than where the parents can afford to buy a house. The country needs doctors as well as plumbers, who can earn as much as each other, in later life.

Guest sibon

If it stresses you out so much being a teacher that you have to take time off work, from being a teacher then you probably shouldn't be a teacher anymore.

I don't disagree with you at all on that point, although we all go through periods in our lives where things get too much for us.

I was objecting to the sweeping generalisations that Andikay used in the rest of his post. I work with teachers day in day out. The profession is full of highly motivated people, not malingerers.

Guest sibon
As I have children who are at a school in S2, I think it is more to do with aspirations than opportunities. The radical solution may be that the child is sent to a school on ability and aptitude rather than where the parents can afford to buy a house. The country needs doctors as well as plumbers, who can earn as much as each other, in later life.

I've taught in S2. It is a tough place to work as a teacher. Our politicians have let areas like it down really badly. I agree absolutely with your post. It is time for some selective schools in our most challenging areas. Said the lifetime Labour voter.

Oh really. :huh: Are you still a college lecturer too? Remember? The 'students only spend their EMA on fags and booze' comment?:huh:

OK - seriously, do you think that the students spend the whole of there EMAs on books?

when all the information from a book is on google, accessable at any time and free of charge?

I've taught in S2. It is a tough place to work as a teacher. Our politicians have let areas like it down really badly. I agree absolutely with your post. It is time for some selective schools in our most challenging areas. Said the lifetime Labour voter.

So how will the newly elected labour council propose to give every Sheffield child the same level of education they deserve? This cannot be changed over a few years in office, but surely a cross party plan could be put in place? Or is this too radical as you said in your earlier post ?

Guest sibon
So how will the newly elected labour council propose to give every Sheffield child the same level of education they deserve? This cannot be changed over a few years in office, but surely a cross party plan could be put in place? Or is this too radical as you said in your earlier post ?

I've no idea, because I'm no longer a party member. It is a really difficult area to address. Obviously money isn't the answer, that has been tried. Springs has had millions thrown at it, with limited improvement. I think that the answer lies in importing a school dedicated to academic excellence into the heart of the Manor/Wybourn/Arbourthourne area. A selective school. There are plenty of bright kids in those areas to fill such a school.

You are right though, it needs some coordination between the parties. The education of kids in S2,3,5,9 etc is far too important for party politics to dominate it. We really need a ten year plan and some politicians who are not afraid to step outside of their normal comfort zones.

Perhaps we need to look at the callibre of people who sign up to the PGCE.

Perhaps the degree entry is wrong, perhaps select the candidates for teacher training on other criteria?

If people are leaving in droves, then they were never up to the job in the first place

The question is, why is this happening now? I'm no expert on the teaching profession but was the level of sickness the same, say in the 1970s 80s 90s etc. If it wasn't there's been another effect on the statistics. This could be, as mentioned earlier, the kids are more challenging, the teachers aren't of the same quality, parenting skills are not what they were or government involvement in the profession is worsening the situation...

It may be a combination of all four but its no solution to sack all those you feel are not up to the job or the profession would be in turmoil.

A teacher suffering from stress is part of the job I suppose and all people can deal with this in a different way.

Archived