Should parents take their schoolchildren on holiday out of term time?

In my opinion, you should be able to take a family holiday at any time, as long as you inform the school. However, as children get older, it needs careful consideration, as they do miss a lot at the speed they try to teach now. Not all kids are going to follow an academic path, and missing a little school will do them no harm at all.

yes as this would stop holiday companies from inflating holidays at the prime times meaning the rest of us can go on holiday when we like and not be priced out of going between late july to september.

yes as this would stop holiday companies from inflating holidays at the prime times meaning the rest of us can go on holiday when we like and not be priced out of going between late july to september.
Wouldn't it be simpler (and fairer) the other way around, i.e. if the Gvt outlawed "holiday time scalping" by tour operators? ;)

In reply to the OP, not at all, unless dictated by special circumstances (e.g. the kind of circumstances for which an employer gives 'compassionate leave' or the like).

Contrary to popular belief, teachers don't have that much time in which to cram our cherished little heads with the programmed/scheduled knowledge. Which is always better imparted, if it is done in uninterrupted fashion.

But hey and all that. So long as the parents who do do that, assume their parental responsibilities and help their kids to keep up, and don't go blaming teachers for their little darlings' academic failings later on... ;)

Wouldn't it be simpler (and fairer) the other way around, i.e. if the Gvt outlawed "holiday time scalping" by tour operators? ;)

what is this france :D

that would require the government to do something worthwhile for consumers, which we both know will never happen.

In reply to the OP, not at all, unless dictated by special circumstances (e.g. the kind of circumstances for which an employer gives 'compassionate leave' or the like).

Contrary to popular belief, teachers don't have that much time in which to cram our cherished little heads with the programmed/scheduled knowledge. Which is always better imparted, if it is done in uninterrupted fashion.

But hey and all that. So long as the parents who do do that, assume their parental responsibilities and help their kids to keep up, and don't go blaming teachers for their little darlings' academic failings later on... ;)

This has needed doing for years, I WILL take my child on holiday in term time until this practice is dropped.

that would require the government to do something worthwhile for consumers, which we both know will never happen.
In fairness, the Gvt isn't likely to coerce tour operators themselves as, historically, it doesn't intervene in the free market economy.

But, politically, there is a good case to incentivise parents not take their kids out of school during term (and, I'm sure, a hefty amount of votes to nab in passing ;)). I understand there are already penalties for doing taking kids on hols during term too often, so there's already a 'stick'. A 'carrot' would be welcome as well, and I can easily think of reasonably simple ways and means to achieve it, if the Gvt can be bothered.

E.g. during official holidays, no airport tax for kids and their parents, or no/cheaper VAT on the holiday booking for kids and their parents, etc... to the extent that the net price of the family holiday to the parents (and only to parents of school-aged kids) becomes more or less the same as during term time.

For less well off families the options quite often boil down to holidaying in term time or no holiday so I think that provided the little uns aren't missing anything vital then go for.

My parents certainly took me on holiday many times during term time and it never did me any harm.

jb

Archived