Should parents take their schoolchildren on holiday out of term time?

As I have previously mentioned on SF my father had to have his holidays at the beginning of September (no choice) so I was never in school for the first week of term - even when moving from primary to secondary I missed the first week of school. And I don't feel that it harmed me in making friends or academically. I still managed to make lots of friends during the first week back at school.

Surely the results aren't the issue. You can't up and take a week from work when you like whether it affects your job or not.

Free full time education is a gift that was fought for for years and is now enforceable by law, it's not just a lifestyle choice.

We could always go back to only people with money educating their offspring.

I've got A levels and a degree yet i was never taken out of school for a holiday - but i played truant at least 1 day a week,so that never affected my education.

I can't take my daughter on holiday during term time.

She's a teacher and all the parents just moan and bitch about it.

You know you shouldn't when you have kids, if you can't afford the holiday boom don't have kids.

missing two weeks term time will not effect the kids....as parents you do what is best for your kids...three cheap holidays in term time or one very expensive one in the holidays...

missing two weeks term time will not effect the kids....as parents you do what is best for your kids...three cheap holidays in term time or one very expensive one in the holidays...

So why bother with school - why not just let parents do as they want. Attend or don't, far easier to reduce the deficit by making more teachers and support staff redundant.

So why bother with school - why not just let parents do as they want. Attend or don't, far easier to reduce the deficit by making more teachers and support staff redundant.

you spend about 12 years in school......so taking between 12 and 24 weeks out to enjoy a bit of sunshine....can seriously damage the kids education...think not....

those monday-friday trips to butlins are very popular with the good people of sheffield...off to skegness monday...

I never took the kids out of school until someone in their wisdom decided to reduce May Spring Bank holiday to one week - from the previous two.

To try and get a flight Sat to Sat for just that week is near on impossible - so now the kids do miss one , two or three days depending on timings.

Perhaps a novel appoach would be to have primary schools open 48 weeks of the year - and parents then able to opt to take kids out for an addtional six - which could then match their own leave restirctions and would also spread the peak weeks preventing companies from charging a premium.

would that not equal 3 weeks off then?

no its still two weeks......no matter when you spend them....you price up a two week break in the six weeks holiday.....in term time you could go and have a cheaper holiday....and with the money saved enjoy a couple of short breaks...in the uk....

some great weekend breaks fri-mon.....

Archived