New trial for murder of Stephen Lawrence

The problem with this is you give the all powerful state with all its resources more and more chance to pin a crime on someone. What chance does an accused have in these circumstances, can they demand retrial after retrial?

No they can't, they have to refer to a state run machine.

Sssh you'll wake them all up.:hihi:

The problem with this is you give the all powerful state with all its resources more and more chance to pin a crime on someone. What chance does an accused have in these circumstances, can they demand retrial after retrial?

The chance to have all the evidence brought before the court and for the truth of the matter to be established.

Of course they can't demand retrial after retrial, that'd be ludicrous.

David Norris is NOT being retried.

A summary for you, I know that you are hard of thinking.

and i still cant get around the thought process about your way of thinking.

if they think theyre still guilty for whatever reason why shouldnt there be a second trial?

what about innocent people locked up and found to be innocent? should they stay in prison?

its like your living in an upside down world for some reason

and as longcol has pointed out, what about the other party who WASNT involved in the original trial, any view on him?

yup and im still bamboozled by britpats thought process on the subject

ive even posted as fully as i can explaining the new developments in the case, now dont tell me..........your against this new trial too?

Then it would help if you read through the thread again and you can clearly see what his opinion is.

My opinion is it's a high profile crime, I wish the Police would treat all crimes the same but they don't.

The 'state' doesn't decide to bring a fresh trial, it's heard at a review hearing where both sides are represented by QC's and the merits of the application heard and argued. The outcome is decided by a panel of judges and clear reasons given for it.

Any hint of the state persecuting the defendants would be robustly challenged under Human Rights legislation...something the BNP want to dismantle ;)

Providing that a prima facie case exists yes.

And what of the retrial - if there's new evidence that the CPS believe would stand in court ( given that the law now allows it ) surely there's a moral obligation to persue that?

Archived