Ken Clarke on rape

anyone else embarrassed at the bbc news even reporting on this? He quite clearly said that "rape" where the rape includes a consenting 15 year old is different to forced sex and the bbc correspondent is asking whether he might be sacked-what?

tv licence runs out on the 31st, I can stop being angry then!!

good old ed agrees:hihi:

And now the BBC are broadcasting his refuting of the way that it was reported, and is allowing him quite a ridiculous amount of air time to explain his way back out of the situation.

without actually showing the clip of what he said.....that of course won't back their angle!

maybe I will celebrate not paying for a new licence with an email to that snoddy guy!

Sack Ken Clarke over rape comments

Ken Clarke should be sacked as justice secretary following his remarks about rape on BBC Radio 5 live, Labour leader Ed Miliband has said.

His reference to "serious rape" during the interview about proposals to change sentencing rules have been criticised.

Mr Miliband said it suggested there were "serious rapes and other categories of rape".

Mr Clarke said later all rape was serious and if he gave another impression then that was "wrong".

Yes, he was clearly trying to differentiate between more serious types of rape (burgled, beaten, tied up, forcibly ......etc..etc) and less serious crimes, that although still technically classed as rape are not in that ball park. Miliband made himself look silly calling for his resignation.

This is what Clark said this morning on radio 5

"On being told that the sentence for rape was five years on average, according to the Council of Circuit Judges, Mr Clarke said: "That includes date rape, 17-year-olds having intercourse with 15 year olds.."

"A serious rape with violence and an unwilling woman - the tariff is longer than that."

When BBC interviewer Victoria Derbyshire interrupted to say "Rape is rape, with respect" Mr Clarke replied: "No it's not, if an 18-year-old has sex with a 15-year-old and she's perfectly willing, that is rape. Because she is under age, she can't consent... What you and I are talking about is we are talking about a man forcibly having sex with a woman and she doesn't want to - a serious crime.""

I think it was his media appearance on 5live to explain his proposal to increase the maximum discount for an early guilty plea for rapists from 33% to 50%.

I think what gave the story its extra newsworthiness was a call to 5live from a rape victim who questioned Clarke about his policy, but broke down in tears shortly afterwards

Archived