Ken Clarke on rape

The looney left on this forum, who hate everything Conservative, really have him as the villain of the piece. All he said is that when 16 years old chav Wayne gives 15 years old chavette Chardonnay Mercedes one, after she consented, isn't even comparable with other rapes.

Get off your soap boxes.

If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old that isn't rape in this country. It's unlawful intercourse. So Ken Clarke was wrong on that one.

It's called statutory rape in the USA, but this isn't the USA.

However I think Clarke was right to say that some rapes are worse than others. There's a world of difference between what is called date rape and violent rape by an unknown attacker.

If a 16 year old has sex with a 15 year old that isn't rape in this country. It's unlawful intercourse. So Ken Clarke was wrong on that one.

However I think Clarke was right to say that some rapes are worse than others. There's a world of difference between what is called date rape and violent rape by an unknown attacker.

I wasn't sure on the actual wording, however I recall reading that a guy had sex with his 15 years 10 months old girlfriend when he was just turned 16. They are now happily married with 2 kids and he is on the sex offenders list, absolutely bloody stupid.

The looney left on this forum, who hate everything Conservative, really have him as the villain of the piece. All he said is that when 16 years old chav Wayne gives 15 years old chavette Chardonnay Mercedes one, after she consented, isn't even comparable with other rapes.

Get off your soap boxes.

The conversation went:

Derbyshire: Rape is rape, with respect.

Clarke: No it's not

And besides, look at what the tory bullyboys come up with on this forum. I don't see what your point is.

You've Godwinned yourself from the start so you can hardly expect to be taken seriously.

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's wrong. If you want to change peoples mind then reasoned debate not emotive claptrap is the way to do it.

What on Earth are you talking about? If you can't say anything reasonable, don't bother.

The conversation went:

Derbyshire: Rape is rape, with respect.

Clarke: No it's not

Look, we know that you struggle with sentences which have more words than you have fingers... or eight, but for everyone else we'll quote the rest of what Clarke said.

From the BBC

When BBC interviewer Victoria Derbyshire interrupted to say "Rape is rape, with respect"

Mr Clarke replied: "No it's not, if an 18-year-old has sex with a 15-year-old and she's perfectly willing, that is rape. Because she is under age, she can't consent... What you and I are talking about is we are talking about a man forcibly having sex with a woman and she doesn't want to - a serious crime."

Look, we know that you struggle with sentences which have more words than you have fingers... or eight, but for everyone else we'll quote the rest of what Clarke said.

From the BBC

When BBC interviewer Victoria Derbyshire interrupted to say "Rape is rape, with respect"

Mr Clarke replied: "No it's not, if an 18-year-old has sex with a 15-year-old and she's perfectly willing, that is rape. Because she is under age, she can't consent... What you and I are talking about is we are talking about a man forcibly having sex with a woman and she doesn't want to - a serious crime."

I've put the relevant bit in bold for you. Beside's written text doesn't always the meaning or emphasis.

Why is one worse than the other?

Why is one worse than the other?

I can only imagine myself in those two situations and imagining myself from a woman's point of view is never going to be accurate, but I think I would find date-rape less traumatic than violent rape by an unknown attacker.

Now you tell me why one isn't worse than the other?

No he wasn't right to use the word "worse". the circumstances surrounding a case are 'different'. Personally I think his use of the word has been used for political gain. Then again he's a seasoned politician. With a hot potato like rape he really should have been on the ball with this one, and like all opposition, they'll go for the jugular. Politics I'm afraid.

Beside's written text doesn't always the meaning or emphasis.

And sometimes it's just gibberish, but fair dos; you did try to use nine words in the same sentence. Next time use your toes as well, but take your socks off first.

Clarke was very clear though and having listened to it a few times it is still a bit of a mystery how anyone can misinterpret what he said unless they set out to deliberately distort his meaning. As mentioned by others he's a seasoned pro and really should have known better than to be drawn into this topic by Fox News BBC Five Live and expect to have a rational discussion.

The daft old goat then compounded it by spending the day explaining it and allowing broadcasters to let his original (and quite plain) comment fall by the wayside.

There's a No 10 communications wonk who needs a damn good thrashing for the quality of their advice.

Archived