Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hello Balthasar, spoke to Mick Cooper today and he says he knows who you are. Have you a sister called Pam, if so remember her as a good friend. We lived on Moss Road (that a good enough clue). Linda at the farm was a good friend to us all and especially my mum. I remember Paul Warburton and Sid Smith. I used to see Paul regularly whilst nursing in Sheffield. Ian Archibold, John Wooffinden, Dave Hughes and Malcolm Lake were called "The Saints and Sinners" and were known to play at the Totley All Saints Youth Club. Anybody remember Michael Wright (Bergy), always dressed in black.

hello pennina, ask mick to have another think its along time now .when we left

totley c of e .i can just remember a farm at the bottom of moss road on the right hand side going up can not remember the name of the girl that lived there but i would stop and talk to her .also had a. friend who lived next to the rifle range chris johnson .

Hi Paul

Hi Aries22. The year would be around 1959. Remember Jackie Coulthard and her friends

Can't believe you mentioned - my very first 'date'. Not much of a date though because I was so shy my legs turned to jelly. Met her at one of 'Trott's' barbecues.

As stated on this thread, it's probably because the railway station and the golf course are named in that way, Dore and Totley are as connected as Totley and Beauchief.
Surely the Dore and Totley golf course is actually in Bradway isn't it? My late Father in Law was a life member of it. I know the Totley tunnel runs under it. The smoke outlets were a golf hazard. Edited by buck

The answer's here:

Dore and Totley is a private members golf club founded in 1913. Situated in the Sheffield suburb of Bradway its name is derived from a time when the playing of golf in the Sheffield Union was prohibited on a Sunday. A dedicated group of golfers formed the club to continue playing, but named it after the local railway station, trains being the best means of travelling beyond the city limits at this time. The mature parkland course is probably the least undulating, within the Sheffield area, with its subtle features making it an excellent course for golfers of all levels who will need to play well to achieve a low score.

Hi Adrian. Did better than that, actually went to meet her one night. Sat and held hands at Forge Dam. Unfortunately that was it. One night only. She did smell nice though. Think she was friends with Sue Yeomans?

HI Paul,

That's about as far as I got as well. I was racking my brains trying to think of her friend's name - Sue Yeomans is correct. Seem to recall she lived at Millhouses. Jackie lived in a big farmhouse near Whiteley Wood.

Hi Old Totleyites,

Nice to hear from you I live in Totley and have done for the past 36yrs so some of the names I know.

What I should like to ask you all is do any of you have any interesting stories or photos of old Totley that you would like to share with me.

As I belong to the Totley History Group we are looking for anything interesting that we can place in our archives for future reference.

Someone mentions Bud and the Perkingtons yes I know both of them and see them regularly, also someone mentiond the Prefabs it would be nice to have some photos of these houses as quite a few younger people have no idea what a prefab looks like.

Hope to hear from someone.

Cheers.

Marlene.

Hi, Crookesey, the family who lived in the house at the top of the road from the Rifle Range were called Jones. Frank and Alice and their children Michael and Paddy. We were very close to them as children and used to go and pick billberries with them. Frank was a great pal of my dads and they spent many hours in the Cricket Inn. Mrs.Clark and family lived at the Grouse Inn on the corner of Strawberry Lee Lane and Penny Lane. They delivered milk when the pub closed and their son John (clobber clarke) was a bit of a lad. He was the first person we ever saw do acrobats on a pushbike.