Totley in the 50s and 60s

hello dreb 48; prefab life in greenoak was quiet good most seemed to have nice gardens,you knew most of of the people that lived in greenoak.

see you knew dennis drury his brother raymond was a friend from the days when they had a hardware shop at the end of summer lane.

Hey Balthasar prefab life was great. Did have a bit of damp but don't remember being cold in winter. We lived on Green Oak Ave. Had a nice garden at the front. Amazing that they lasted so long seeing as the panels were made of compressed cardboard. Makes me laugh when you think that in an attempt to make them safer they clad them later with asbestos sheeting! Know Dennis' brother Ray or Charlie as he was often called and the shop. Sorry Crookesey have never heard of a chip shop in front of the Fleur. The only shop up there was Perkingtons at Totley PO

Hey Balthasar prefab life was great. Did have a bit of damp but don't remember being cold in winter. We lived on Green Oak Ave. Had a nice garden at the front. Amazing that they lasted so long seeing as the panels were made of compressed cardboard. Makes me laugh when you think that in an attempt to make them safer they clad them later with asbestos sheeting! Know Dennis' brother Ray or Charlie as he was often called and the shop. Sorry Crookesey have never heard of a chip shop in front of the Fleur. The only shop up there was Perkingtons at Totley PO

If you recall the stone shed type building adjacent to Baslow Road, it was supposed to have steps leading up to a wooden structure, no wonder it burnt down. :hihi:

hello dreb48 / crookesey never heard of a chip shop there thats a new one on me. but i can recall going to the farmhouse at the side of the fleur for fresh eggs, at the top of his field stood for some years a old style gypse caravan. breb 48 which was your favourite part of totley,i have happy memories totley bents,had a friend who lived at the rifle range you may have know them coopers mrs cooper was a dinner lady at totleyc of e. could go on and on .

Hi Balthasar. Remember the rifle range and the Coopers( son was called Mick I think) once got bitten by their dog whilst delivering papers( yes again I'm afraid) on my Sunday round. Had to deliver all round Totley Bents, cutting across the fields from Old Hay to the farm up from the Cricket. Had to collect their paper money as well, all for 5/6. Got fond memories of all parts of Totley from various stages of my life there. Building dams in the woods below where you used to live. Playing on the acci at the end of Totley Brook. The playground and tennis courts being built in the rec. Later on it was the youth clubs particularly the Methodist on Totley Rise when Schoey was the leader

I'm a bit younger but I remember Totley of the eighties; Myra's post-office opposite the Fleur. The bus turning in front of the Cross (which to be fair, it still ought to do if they hadn't built that turn around in the middle of nowhere). The polytechnic, Totley Pick Your Own; with the signs vandalised each year with the addition of 'Nose'. The butcher at the top of Main Avenue, the coloured pop at the Cricket and the cobbled path that goes there from Hillfoot.

The scouts using the rifle range with my uncle being part of them in the eighties.

I remember the end-of-year show at All Saints they did at the church hall.

Good times, I think myself fortunate that things haven't changed too much since then but the little changes, they're strange.