Totley in the 50s and 60s

On 21/07/2022 at 12:37, Dreb48 said:

Myself and my fellow Totley County sleuths  would love to know who you are Ruperts Mum 

One of them lived on Rowan Tree Dell at the same time as you .

Can you give us any more clues ( without revealing your identity, obviously)  as we’ve been through all the class photos of your year and just can’t nail it down ?

Yeah, I was a weird fat kid with pudding basin hair cut, moved from RTD to Main Avenue. Is that any help.

23 hours ago, Rupert’s Mum said:

Yeah, I was a weird fat kid with pudding basin hair cut, moved from RTD to Main Avenue. Is that any help.

Still puzzled 

Can you confirm you’re on the class photos of your year ( going on the names of kids you’ve mentioned ) that are on Totley History ?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rupert’s Mum said:

I’m afraid so - time’s a great healer 😂

Ah well . None the wiser.

Never mind, I’ll not pry any further 

Its just natural in threads of this nature to try and  work out if any poster is someone you knew from the past.

Often usernames intentionally tell you nothing .

• 2 weeks later...

Dreb48 - I’m keeping myself as anonymous as possible. Childhood traumas and all that stuff, so sorry to disappoint. I’ve not lived in Sheffield for 45 years having married a serviceman and moved around the UK and Europe. I have fond (and some not so fond) memories of my first 14 years living in Totley. I went back for a quick visit a few years ago - everything seemed so small …….

That’s fine, obviously.

Sorry if I was prying too much.

BTW you’re so right about everything seeming so small when you revisit your childhood places. Distances are so much shorter than you remember them 

• 11 months later...

Just reviving this thread for one more time to see if there are any new forummers that might have reminiscences to share .

Sadly my impression is that there are far less users of this site than there used to be.

It just doesn’t seem to be the place it was .

I was a fresh faced young 64 year old when I first started it and now, at 75, its feeling like there aren’t that many of us left .

Im particularly interested to hear from any ex prefab dwellers .

I’ve read on other sites how virtually all people, up and down the country, have  happy experiences of prefab life or maybe it’s more because it was part of their childhoods and viewed through rose tinted glasses ?

• Like 1

I've lived in2 prefabs, of 2 different types,  and enjoyed both of them. The first was an aluminium clad one one on the lower part of the Arbourthorne estate and the second one was an asbestos clad one on Aldam Road, Totley.