Totley in the 50s and 60s

That’s pretty unique, Meltman 

Moving from one style prefab to another ?

Aluminium or asbestos ? Which did you prefer ?

Before they clad them in asbestos they were sheets of what seemed like compressed cardboard which  always seemed ok and even survived the gales.

Obviously , in hindsight , making them ‘safer ‘by surrounding them in asbestos wasn’t very clever 

They were both good and had their own merits  Drrb. When we moved into the aluminium one I had never seen a built in oven and fridge and it was luxury. The main problem with the aluminium one was of heat in the summer and cold in the winter. The house seemed to attract both! The steel window frames also attracted loads of condensation. At least the house survived the 'Sheffield gale ' although we felt it move a bit. The asbestos one was better for the temperature extremes,  just a good job we didn't know about the asbestos issue then. I regret not being able to get hold of some flooring when they pulled the Totley ones down, it was Maple l believe, similar to bowling alley wood.

I seem to remember loads of condensation in the kitchen .

Those big windows seemed to attract it and I know we had black mold underneath them  though I don’t think it was a major issue .

I don’t really remember feeling extremes of temperature.

I think we expected it to be cold in winter and putting an overcoat on top of the bedclothes wasn’t unusual and I don’t feel damaged by having to gather round the fire on a cold winters morning 

Central heating has turned us all into wimps .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Dreb48, 

You asked for people who used to live in the prefabs. Well, I used to live on Adam Road. And in fact I have a request. I used to email with  live Bellamy who I know posted on this forum. However have been unable to contact him lately. Do you have any news of him, please?

Thanks.

Aldam !!!! I too am 75.

On 22/09/2023 at 08:36, Prefab dweller said:

Clive Bellamy!

Hi Prefab Dweller 

Have you managed to make contact with the above ?

Didn’t you live almost next door ?

I think you joined Totley County in the last couple of years we were there.

Didnt you move on to High Storrs after ?

• 1 month later...