Totley in the 50s and 60s

4 hours ago, Prefab dweller said:

You have a very good memory.

Well yep it’s great for useless trivia and I’ve always had a memory for names .

I was a Sub Postmaster for many years and it was a useful thing to have .

Customers always liked to be remembered especially by name.

I can actually more or less remember you moving in 

A new girl on the prefabs was a big deal back then !!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Although not a prefab dweller my parents house backed onto those in Aldam Road so am aware of the history associated with them. 
I have read all the background to this section of the Sheffield Forum and do remember Dreb who started this a few years ago.

I remember all the various comments posted about Totley  including the local pubs, youth clubs and people. I was one of them.

After finishing my studies in Sheffield I left the Steel industry  in 1970 to work for a Swiss Chemical Co in Cambridge and have lived in the area ever since.  Over the years I have travelled back to see Totley but how it’s changed with all the new developments.  At the time it was a great place to grow up.

No doubt Dreb will be scratching his head  on this one.

7 minutes ago, Max47 said:

Although not a prefab dweller my parents house backed onto those in Aldam Road so am aware of the history associated with them. 
I have read all the background to this section of the Sheffield Forum and do remember Dreb who started this a few years ago.

I remember all the various comments posted about Totley  including the local pubs, youth clubs and people. I was one of them.

After finishing my studies in Sheffield I left the Steel industry  in 1970 to work for a Swiss Chemical Co in Cambridge and have lived in the area ever since.  Over the years I have travelled back to see Totley but how it’s changed with all the new developments.  At the time it was a great place to grow up.

Did you live on Main Avenue by any chance?  I'm sure that the garden that backed onto our prefab on Aldam Road was on Main Avenue. 

19 minutes ago, Max47 said:

No , I lived on Rowan Tree Dell. I think since the new homes were built when the prefabs were demolished this section became Aldam Way. I think the area you mention relates to Green Oak Avenue.

No,I remember now, it was Rowan Tree Dell. We (my mum and I ) lived at 89 Aldam Road, if I remember correctly it was probably the 3rd or 4th one down from Green Oak Road. Which steel company did you work at in Sheffield?

Edited by Meltman

I worked for Firth Brown Tools on Carlisle Street Sheffield for around six years having left The Central  Technical School in 1964 and continuing my studies  at Sheffield Polytechnic.

Unfortunately the company is no longer there having closed down I think  in the mid to late 70’s.

I went straight from Abbeydale Grammar school to Firth Brown's laboratory on Princess Street in 1965. I had further education at Richmond college and then Sheffield Polytechnic. I once had to deliver/collect something from Firth Brown tools and had to walk through a shop full of women working at machines, the comments were a bit scary!

20 hours ago, Max47 said:

Well there’s only one Max I can think of who went to TCS around that time .
I reckon you’d be classmates with John Kay , John Parkin and John Cook  🤔

Edited by Dreb48
Extra info