Totley in the 50s and 60s

On 13/06/2024 at 20:05, Dreb48 said:

I’m reliably informed that the Chemists was Hutchinsons .

Chambers was the wet fish shop on Totley Rise 

Easy to get confused 🙄

Can anyone remember the name of the Chemists on the Rise near Springs.

It had a lovely fish tank that used to fascinate me ?

Hi Dreb, does this help?

Advertisement in Totley All Saints' Parish Magazine, 1948.

On 10/06/2024 at 18:00, rick15 said:

I remember loads of King Ted’s pupils lived on Stonecroft Road.  I started there in 61.  Yes I do remember Adrian and his motor bikes; was at TCS with his sister Alison.  Also remember Adrian Spring, his father owned?/managed? Sheffield Photographic, and his gran ran the sweet shop on the Rise;  remember Adrian appearing with one of the first Polaroid cameras - seemed like magic!

Here's who I can remember from Stonecroft Road:

Even side

No.8?  Peter Higgins

No. 16 Holdens (Adrian, Janice, Alison)

No. 18 Peter Thurgood

No. 20 Springs (Adrian, Fiona)

No.22 Jerroms (Rick, Lindsay)

No. 32 Neil Goodenough

No. 36 Keith Briars

Odd side (not sure of numbers)

Peter Hardcastle

David Hope

Michael Witherley

Andrew Robinson

Dane Atkin

I'm assuming Rick15, that you're a couple of years or so younger than me - did you live on the odd side close to Witherleys?

Incidentally, I don't recall the Polaroid incident - old age is taking its toll!

18 minutes ago, ping said:

Hi Dreb, does this help?

Advertisement in Totley All Saints' Parish Magazine, 1948.

Thanks Adrian .  A great help.

Certainly a very satisfying chemists .

Strangely, all the time I lived there , I’d no idea that oxygen was always available 

For some reason I always associate Thompson with butchers and not suppliers of ‘toilet specialities ‘

Please confirm that Thompson was indeed the other butchers that wasn’t Tyms 

13 minutes ago, ping said:

Here's who I can remember from Stonecroft Road:

Even side

No.8?  Peter Higgins

No. 16 Holdens (Adrian, Janice, Alison)

No. 18 Peter Thurgood

No. 20 Springs (Adrian, Fiona)

No.22 Jerroms (Rick, Lindsay)

No. 32 Neil Goodenough

No. 36 Keith Briars

Odd side (not sure of numbers)

Peter Hardcastle

David Hope

Michael Witherley

Andrew Robinson

Dane Atkin

I'm assuming Rick15, that you're a couple of years or so younger than me - did you live on the odd side close to Witherleys?

Incidentally, I don't recall the Polaroid incident - old age is taking its toll!

I can remember you , Adrian Holden, Neil Goodenough and Rick Jerome  of those you’ve listed 

I know David Hope posted some stuff on Sheffield History group but I don’t really remember him.

I remember now that your dad had something to do  with Sheffield Photographic .

Weren’t the Coulthards ( parents of our mutual friend Jackie ) involved in some way ?

16 minutes ago, ping said:

Here's a photo of Totley Rise from 50s probably:

TotleyRise.thumb.jpg.d40619ba45e843f23e991b1656f677fe.jpg

Love that photo .

The old single carriageway days 

A whole row of thriving ‘ proper ‘ shops 

When your mum went shopping virtually every day and was gone hours cos she was chatting to shop owners or on the corner with one of the neighbours. 
Sadly those days are long gone 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

I can remember you , Adrian Holden, Neil Goodenough and Rick Jerome  of those you’ve listed 

I know David Hope posted some stuff on Sheffield History group but I don’t really remember him.

I remember now that your dad had something to do  with Sheffield Photographic .

Weren’t the Coulthards ( parents of our mutual friend Jackie ) involved in some way ?

Hi ping.  We were on the ‘odd’ side of the road (between the Witherleys and the Hopes).  I remember all the names you listed with the exception of Keith Briars.  Other names from Stonecroft Road that I remember are Pamela and Margaret Bruce (14?), Richard Ibbotson, Rodney Hague, Chris Atkin (younger brother of Dane), Diane and Helen Brown (neighbours of the Atkins), Ian and David McCallum.  The Polaroid incident was at the Thurgoods - everyone was amazed by the technology.  Love your picture of The Rise!

Just now, rick15 said:

Hi ping.  We were on the ‘odd’ side of the road (between the Witherleys and the Hopes).  I remember all the names you listed with the exception of Keith Briars.  Other names from Stonecroft Road that I remember are Pamela and Margaret Bruce (14?), Richard Ibbotson, Rodney Hague, Chris Atkin (younger brother of Dane), Diane and Helen Brown (neighbours of the Atkins), Ian and David McCallum.  The Polaroid incident was at the Thurgoods - everyone was amazed by the technology.  Love your picture of The Rise!

Keith Briars was probably before your time, the family moved to Birmingham sometime in the late 50s. His uncle Eric had the cake shop on Totley Rise.

Margaret Bruce was indeed at No.14 (couldn't remember the surname). Mr Brown was a lecturer at Sheffield University.

36 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Thanks Adrian .  A great help.

Certainly a very satisfying chemists .

Strangely, all the time I lived there , I’d no idea that oxygen was always available 

For some reason I always associate Thompson with butchers and not suppliers of ‘toilet specialities ‘

Please confirm that Thompson was indeed the other butchers that wasn’t Tyms 

Yes, Thompsons was the other butcher. They had livestock over the lane at the back of Totley Rise, now given over to houses. They lived on the opposite side of the Rise to the shops, to the left of the big tree on the Totley Rise picture.

6 minutes ago, ping said:

Yes, Thompsons was the other butcher. They had livestock over the lane at the back of Totley Rise, now given over to houses. They lived on the opposite side of the Rise to the shops, to the left of the big tree on the Totley Rise picture.

I well remember the open fields on Back Lane 

Unrecognisable now 

One assumes they sorted out all the flooding problems before they built all that housing on there 🤔

Re your other post 

Eric Briars cake shop 

Another blast from the past