Totley in the 50s and 60s

On 23/06/2024 at 11:50, rick15 said:

Hi ping.  We were on the ‘odd’ side of the road (between the Witherleys and the Hopes).  I remember all the names you listed with the exception of Keith Briars.  Other names from Stonecroft Road that I remember are Pamela and Margaret Bruce (14?), Richard Ibbotson, Rodney Hague, Chris Atkin (younger brother of Dane), Diane and Helen Brown (neighbours of the Atkins), Ian and David McCallum.  The Polaroid incident was at the Thurgoods - everyone was amazed by the technology.  Love your picture of The Rise!

Hi Rick 

You seem to have an interest in photography 

You’re not related to Ray who’s accountable for a vast amount of Picture Sheffields catalogue , are you ?

2 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Hi Rick 

You seem to have an interest in photography 

You’re not related to Ray who’s accountable for a vast amount of Picture Sheffields catalogue , are you ?

Hi,  

Although I do have an interest in photography, I’m afraid that there's no-one in my family called Ray that I’ve ever come across.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2024 at 11:50, rick15 said:

Hi ping.  We were on the ‘odd’ side of the road (between the Witherleys and the Hopes).  I remember all the names you listed with the exception of Keith Briars.  Other names from Stonecroft Road that I remember are Pamela and Margaret Bruce (14?), Richard Ibbotson, Rodney Hague, Chris Atkin (younger brother of Dane), Diane and Helen Brown (neighbours of the Atkins), Ian and David McCallum.  The Polaroid incident was at the Thurgoods - everyone was amazed by the technology.  Love your picture of The Rise!

Hi Rick,

See if you recognise any of these. Picture was taken from Witherley's drive with our house in the background (No.20).

From left to right I think it's Michael Witherley, Andrew Robinson, Peter Hardcastle, ???, Geraldine Maybe (she lived a couple of doors up from Witherleys).

Note also the Jowett Javelin van in the background.

Stonecroft Road 1954.jpeg

I remember a Michael Witherley from my time at Brincliffe Grammar 1958 to 1963. His parents owned a carpet shop at the bottom of London Road. The Witherleys moved to Devon sometime in early 1963. I was wondering if it's the same Michael Witherley.

1 hour ago, sovrappeso said:

I remember a Michael Witherley from my time at Brincliffe Grammar 1958 to 1963. His parents owned a carpet shop at the bottom of London Road. The Witherleys moved to Devon sometime in early 1963. I was wondering if it's the same Michael Witherley.

Yes, same one. Harry Witherley opened a photographic shop when they moved to Devon.

On 23/06/2024 at 11:29, Dreb48 said:

I can remember you , Adrian Holden, Neil Goodenough and Rick Jerome  of those you’ve listed 

I know David Hope posted some stuff on Sheffield History group but I don’t really remember him.

I remember now that your dad had something to do  with Sheffield Photographic .

Weren’t the Coulthards ( parents of our mutual friend Jackie ) involved in some way ?

Jim Coulthard was indeed a commercial photographer.

Photograph below may bring back memeories.

JC.png

31 minutes ago, ping said:

Jim Coulthard was indeed a commercial photographer.

Photograph below may bring back memeories.

JC.png

Blimey , that’s not at all how I remember her .

Was that around the time she was at Trots ?

1 minute ago, Dreb48 said:

Blimey , that’s not at all how I remember her .

Was that around the time she was at Trots ?

Yes, must have been around 1963. Did you ever come across her friend Susan Yeomans?

10 minutes ago, ping said:

Yes, must have been around 1963. Did you ever come across her friend Susan Yeomans?

Yes I remember her

She was blonde , taller than Jackie and very outgoing 

Lived at Millhouses