Totley in the 50s and 60s

38 minutes ago, Meltman said:

How far up is that from the junction with Green Oak Rd and Aldam Road @Dreb48?

Hi Meltman 

The last prefab you can see on the left is on the corner of Green Oak Rd and Ave 

Just in front of that there’s 2 gateposts where the garages where .

It was a driveway with corrugated iron or asbestos garages on the right and along the bottom that backed on to the rec .

We lived at 9 so it wasnt  really that far up 

My dad was a big fan of HP , hence the car 

Think the neighbours were more cautious .

Garages were used ,not so much  for cars , but motorcycles and doing  DIY stuff 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Hi Meltman 

The last prefab you can see on the left is on the corner of Green Oak Rd and Ave 

Just in front of that there’s 2 gateposts where the garages where .

It was a driveway with corrugated iron or asbestos garages on the right and along the bottom that backed on to the rec .

We lived at 9 so it wasnt  really that far up 

My dad was a big fan of HP , hence the car 

Think the neighbours were more cautious .

Garages were used ,not so much  for cars , but motorcycles and doing  DIY stuff 

That's great thank you @Dreb48. I used to go to the rec/park and play tennis....I say play but just knocking a ball back and forth etc. I remember the garages but can't remember anyone using them!

5 minutes ago, Meltman said:

That's great thank you @Dreb48. I used to go to the rec/park and play tennis....I say play but just knocking a ball back and forth etc. I remember the garages but can't remember anyone using them!

I think most of the garages were empty.

I learnt to drive on that bit of land as hardly anyone went down there .

It was in  a Vauxhall Viva which is the car we had after the Morris 

The other way to get into the park from the prefabs was down ‘ the tip ‘ At the bottom of Green Oak Cres  , a bit of waste land with a pathway to the bottom gate by the playground .

People used to tip their garden waste and assorted rubbish down there . Along with the odd paint can you'd often find a decent set of pram wheels which were like gold dust to us kids 

22 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

I think most of the garages were empty.

I learnt to drive on that bit of land as hardly anyone went down there .

It was in  a Vauxhall Viva which is the car we had after the Morris 

The other way to get into the park from the prefabs was down ‘ the tip ‘ At the bottom of Green Oak Cres  , a bit of waste land with a pathway to the bottom gate by the playground .

People used to tip their garden waste and assorted rubbish down there . Along with the odd paint can you'd often find a decent set of pram wheels which were like gold dust to us kids 

I remember the path at the bottom of Green Oak Cresent also. I had a few driving lessons along the track off Mickley Lane, just about where the Spitfire pub is I think. It was in my brother in laws VW Beetle. His mum and dad were from Totley and his brother lived on Laverdene Ave?  the dead end road that runs along side the stream if my memory is correct. 

16 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I remember the path at the bottom of Green Oak Cresent also. I had a few driving lessons along the track off Mickley Lane, just about where the Spitfire pub is I think. It was in my brother in laws VW Beetle. His mum and dad were from Totley and his brother lived on Laverdene Ave?  the dead end road that runs along side the stream if my memory is correct. 

Yep , the track off Mickley Lane was called the white road and ran from there up to the bottom of Wins ( Wings ) hill .

Laverdene Ave was , as you say , a short cul de sac, in those days , with a path at the end leading to Back Lane which ran behind the shops on Totley Rise emerging just past Bonners .

Its impossible to imagine that area as it was seeing it now.

Where there was a vast open field it’s crammed tight with houses and Laverdene Ave runs almost the length of it 

A sad sight 

• Like 1

Brother in laws mum and dad lived in a house on Aldam Road, just as you turn left from Green Oak Rd. I think they were a block of 4,still there I believe. There was a long back garden and then a piece of grassland before the stream.  When he was a lot younger he used to be a gardener for Lord Riverdale and cycled daily to work in Grindleford, and cycled home at the end of the day. 

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Next time I'm in the area I'll have to call round and have a look  it's been a long time since I was there. If I remember correctly we went down the path from the road and through a passage to the back of the houses and turned left. I think there was another block (of 4?) next door and then the prefabs started. This is all a bit sketchy, it's been a long time. 

22 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Next time I'm in the area I'll have to call round and have a look  it's been a long time since I was there. If I remember correctly we went down the path from the road and through a passage to the back of the houses and turned left. I think there was another block (of 4?) next door and then the prefabs started. This is all a bit sketchy, it's been a long time. 

Sadly you  won’t recognise it from any of the photos I’ve posted .

My partners daughter and family now live on Laverdene Rd and we’re up in Totley every week .

Though that part of the area is very much the same as it was , Green Osk itself is unrecognisable 

• Sad 1