Totley in the 50s and 60s

2 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

You’ve probably seen this photo before but this should be a familiar view along Aldam Rd 

IMG_0949.jpeg

That's great. I think my brother in laws parents lived in one of the houses in the background. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lantern as a parking light, lol.

Yes, oil filled!

I had one of those Ford Populars but in better condition than that one. Only 3 forward gears!

I also had one of the cars further down on the other side of the road which I think is an Austin A40 Farina.

echo.

4 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Yes, oil filled!

I had one of those Ford Populars but in better condition than that one. Only 3 forward gears!

I also had one of the cars further down on the other side of the road which I think is an Austin A40 Farina.

echo.

Just noticed .

More cars on there than on the whole of the rest of the estate !!

• Like 1

Yes, my dad had a Ford Poplar. I learnt to drive in it. He used to deliberately take me up steep hills so that I could practise the ‘ double de clutch’ .

All these photos remind me of how much I loved living in Totley, especially the prefab. And I loved the woods.

Visited a few years ago. Went to The ‘ Flu’ and someone in there recognised me !!  
Also, went to visit my favourite oak tree near the bottom of Wings Hill and gave it a good hug. 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Prefab dweller said:

Yes, my dad had a Ford Poplar. I learnt to drive in it. He used to deliberately take me up steep hills so that I could practise the ‘ double de clutch’ .

All these photos remind me of how much I loved living in Totley, especially the prefab. And I loved the woods.

Visited a few years ago. Went to The ‘ Flu’ and someone in there recognised me !!  
Also, went to visit my favourite oak tree near the bottom of Wings Hill and gave it a good hug. 😂😂😂

Think that photos taken not far from your house J.

You certainly didn’t have far to go to get to the woods !!

Sorry if this panoramic view is a bit difficult to make out .

Its  Baslow Rd when it was a single carriageway .

This section heading down to Totley Rise , was lined with lovely big trees on the left . 
Each root was a mound of earth round it and it created an undulating little pathway that all the younger kids used in their way down to the shops .

Fascinating fact :

The end building on the  right was a tea room in the 1900s that was the entrance to Victoria Gardens a huge  pleasure ground which covered the whole area where Laverdene estate is now and stretched down to Totley Rise .

There were  all sorts if shows  and performances there .

Obviously before my time , but it always fascinated me as it was so hard to imagine 

IMG_0970.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreb48 said:

There’s bits of info online about Victoria Gardens if you’re interested 

IMG_4380.jpeg

I didn't know about this, I'll have a look later  thanks.