Totley in the 50s and 60s

1 hour ago, Dreb48 said:

I had a little cruise round the old stomping ground yesterday.

I know I’ve mentioned this earlier but it really is incredible how many places have been built on .

I started on Totley Hall Lane and drove  down to the gate to Gilleyfield Woods which is surprisingly still the same .

There’s housing behind the Hall and the farm ( that now  appears not to be )

its all around the back and behind the Fleur

Where the college was on the other side is another private development of houses plus various others that were once cottages 

It’s a Tesla wonderland .

i then went down Laverdene Ave and seriously is it possible to cram any more housing in there ?

The old Chemical Yard appears to be now just one cottage, though the footbridge still remains across the river 

I think I noticed, strangely,  that the gate at the bottom of Laverdene ,that seperated it from the old Back Lane ,is still there .

I guess it all goes to prove that things change in 60 years 

Who’d have thought it ? 

Thanks for the update @Dreb48, I will have to do the same thing at sometime. I think the house on the corner of Grove Road (church house?) is still there. That's where my brother in law was born. 

2 hours ago, Meltman said:

Thanks for the update @Dreb48, I will have to do the same thing at sometime. I think the house on the corner of Grove Road (church house?) is still there. That's where my brother in law was born. 

Yes I’m sure that’s still there .

Meltman , I think the biggest change you’ll notice is the area round Laverdene Ave and Back Lane

Quite a revelation 

• Like 1

Anyone remember the mad panic when you saw the number 45 Totley bus ( the last bus on the  left ) standing there ready to go just as you reached the top of the long flight of steps at the end of Surrey St as you were coming home ?

IMG_0147.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Anyone remember the mad panic when you saw the number 45 Totley bus ( the last bus on the  left ) standing there ready to go just as you reached the top of the long flight of steps at the end of Surrey St as you were coming home ?

IMG_0147.jpeg

That photo must have been taken in the late ‘50s or very early’60s Dreb48.

What a mucky and depressing scene it shows.

How things have changed for the better when you look now at the same view now.

echo.

33 minutes ago, echo beach said:

echo.

Hi echo 

Yes you’ve dated it correctly I think . 
Could be even mid 50s but I’m sure the bus buffs will tell us when that model of bus was in service .

People often say what a dirty and depressing image the black and white photos show of the city but I never ever saw it like that

The post war years are often depicted  as grey and depressing but that’s the opposite to how  it seemed to me 

The city was full of life, it was full of colourful characters all with a common sense of purpose 

I was lucky in that I grew up in Totley with green fields all around and clean air . My partner grew up in Attercliffe  with all its smoke and grime but she never noticed it . She lived in a cheerful, friendly community that she still misses 

43 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Hi echo 

Yes you’ve dated it correctly I think . 
Could be even mid 50s but I’m sure the bus buffs will tell us when that model of bus was in service .

People often say what a dirty and depressing image the black and white photos show of the city but I never ever saw it like that

The post war years are often depicted  as grey and depressing but that’s the opposite to how  it seemed to me 

The city was full of life, it was full of colourful characters all with a common sense of purpose 

I was lucky in that I grew up in Totley with green fields all around and clean air . My partner grew up in Attercliffe  with all its smoke and grime but she never noticed it . She lived in a cheerful, friendly community that she still misses 

I too don’t recall it being depressing. Born just off Abbey Lane,  moved for a few years to Heeley to be closer to grandparents and then out to Gleadless from aged 7.

The post war years were good once we dispensed with rationing and moved into the ‘60s.

I dated it from the Park Hill development which you can see faintly through the smog.

You’ll remember those ‘pea soupers’ like I do. Built between 1957 & 1962.

echo.

15 minutes ago, echo beach said:

I too don’t recall it being depressing. Born just off Abbey Lane,  moved for a few years to Heeley to be closer to grandparents and then out to Gleadless from aged 7.

The post war years were good once we dispensed with rationing and moved into the ‘60s.

I dated it from the Park Hill development which you can see faintly through the smog.

You’ll remember those ‘pea soupers’ like I do. Built between 1957 & 1962.

echo.

hi echo 

When  you say , just off Abbey Lane , do you mean the Woodseats end  ?

6 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

17 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

IMG_0147.jpeg

Those steps, those steps, I recall them well.