Totley in the 50s and 60s

Yes that's me on both.  Where are you?

Weren't our classes big!  I remember 40 in Pop Roberts' class (38 on the photo), but there are 46? in the younger class.  What a handful...

4 minutes ago, AnnS said:

Weren't our classes big!  I remember 40 in Pop Roberts' class (38 on the photo), but there are 46? in the younger class.  What a handful...

Bottom row, end right. I don't think teachers could handle 46 these days!

16 minutes ago, AnnS said:

I’m 3rd left on front row in Reception class 

4th right front row in J4 Pop Robert’s class 

Yes 46 must have been a handful 

No classroom assistants in those days  but instead they’d got disciplined young children who knew how to behave.

Nobody wanted to be on a straw mat in the foyer outside the assembly hall and risking Miss Clarebrughs  ire 

So here I am, in New Zealand, talking with - I guess - Paul and Adrian  in Sheffield, who I haven't seen since 1959.  Crazy world.

On the last day in Pop Roberts' class, he stood at the door as we all went home and shook the hand of each of us.  He said that was how he would greet us if we met again.  I've always remembered that. - giving us grown up respect.

1 hour ago, AnnS said:

So here I am, in New Zealand, talking with - I guess - Paul and Adrian  in Sheffield, who I haven't seen since 1959.  Crazy world.

On the last day in Pop Roberts' class, he stood at the door as we all went home and shook the hand of each of us.  He said that was how he would greet us if we met again.  I've always remembered that. - giving us grown up respect.

Yes Ann , I agree 
It is indeed an incredible thing to be reunited with people we’ve not seen for 65 years.

I started this thread in 2011 and so many people have been part of it that it  always gives me encouragement to keep it going 

I’ve reconnected with not only fellow TCS  pupils and Totleyites  from our generation but also  old friends and even family I’d lost touch with .

From our year at school  there are  at least 4 or 5 that have contributed and I’m really grateful that they did.

There've also been  a fair few from other years 

Sadly I’m aware that several have passed which is the inevitability of us all being mid 70s or older..

Talking of Pop Roberts,  I noticed on another thread that a couple of years after we parted  he was headmaster at Anns Road school at Heeley and at other schools after that .

i remember the incident you mention.

It was typical of him . 
He was an excellent ‘ old school ‘ teacher and I think we all have fond memories of him 

5 hours ago, AnnS said:

At one period in my career I worked in a 9 to 13 years middle school.

In their four years there the pupils always used the two side entrances to the building but on their last day, after the final leavers’ assembly, they were allowed, for the only time, to exit by the school’s main entrance at the front.

It was almost like a right of passage and I bet they all remember it, like you do AnnS with the handshake, even though by now they will be heading for their 50th birthdays!

I still occasionally bump into some of them, in fact one lad lives in the same village as me, and surprisingly they recognise me although obviously they’ve often changed considerably.
We chat about what they’ve done in the meantime and reminisce about the happy times they had at school.

echo.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2024 at 02:48, AnnS said:

My memory must be fading badly because I don't remember the handshake.

2 hours ago, ping said:

My memory must be fading badly because I don't remember the handshake.

Must admit it wasn’t something Id remembered till Ann mentioned it but now I definitely do

• 2 weeks later...

I had a drive around the old area this afternoon. We had been to Longshaw and came back Totley way, turned down Main Ave...just in time for school chucking out! Went down Green Oak Rd and up Green Oak Avenue to the top, down Lemont road, Mickley lane and onto Aldam road. The house where my brother in laws parents lived, 35 Aldam Road is still there. Turned round, Aldam Rd is now a cul-de-sac ,went down Laverdene Ave, which seems to never end now. The whole area is so built up,where there was plenty of space and gardens between the prefabs  now there are many houses crammed together and the roads are full of parked cars. I'm glad we don't live there now.

• Like 1