Is SF a playground for conspiracy theorists?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

British politician (1874 - 1965

Oh the Darkness,

I embrace it,

Coming over me,

Into the pit,

That is my soul,

The pit is my home,

I'm all alone.

What shall I do?

I'm a goth kangaroo.

Skippy the Goth Kangaroo (somewhere between 1998 - 2003)

http://www.matazone.co.uk/animpages/skippy-the-goth-kangaroo.html

The thing that's annoying with the conspiracy threads is, if I was to post so many off topic posts, or just completely rant my way through a thread without engaging in civilised discussion, I'm sure one or more of my posts would get removed.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

"Some people wouldn't know the truth if it < hit them | bit them | ran them over | smacked them > in the < head | face | bottom >"

Everyone, since the beginning of the English language.

Sir Winston Churchill

"I can't believe you fell for it - the ollllllld man-eating toaster bit"

-Peter Venkman

There seems to be loads of threads on here lately regarding some sort of conspiracy. Now don't get me wrong I like variety but the arguments are just dumb.

Someone puts out a theory, others ask for proof and it isn't provided.

Someone provides theorist with the evidence but the theorist still won't accept it as it's just propaganda by the New World Order.

Then there's the old and I quote "Rational arguments as have been given, no proof, no believe, sorry." argument. This was given to me earlier because the proof I gave was not the proof they were looking for. Even though the proof they were looking for is one of those unprovable negative thingys. Like hearing prove to me god doesn't exist arguments that religious people often come out with.

Anyway, that's it. These threads seem pointless.

And I think I may have just started my very own conspiracy thread by asking the question. Bugger.

When the film Truman Show was released, I remember listening to a R4 programme that attributed the success of the film to that niggling feeling in all of us that the universe really does have "me" at the centre of it.

I forget the actual programme, either In Our Time or All In The Mind, but the subject was treated seriously. Basically, the vast majority of the world actually think that life, and the universe, is some sort of stage in which they are the star player, so the film tapped into those feelings.

With this in mind, it seems sadly inevitable that conspiracy theories exist. People will believe what they want to believe, and anything that contradicts those beliefs is wrong. People will blame outside circumstances, other people, fate, anything but themselves, for their own misfortunes. Same goes for social groups, even countries.

Somebody sat at home, no work, no girlfriend, no hope of work, no hope of a girlfriend, but with a computer, is quite likely to be a conspiracy theorist. After all, their own misfortune is the fault of "them", whoever or whatever "them" is.

Archived