What's the best spam you ever had?

Originally posted by Mosherchik

Had all these spam preventative things and Norton but screwed up computer summat chronic. had two antivirus programmes fighting with each other thinking other one was a virus! :loopy:

Erm... that's your own bad I'm afraid... it's always recommended that you only ever install one anti-virus program on a single machine otherwise they clash and can let stuff through...

Whole other topic I know but never install more than one AV system on your machine... not good ;)

Aint my 'puter is Dads :)

His bad really!

My 'puter is a v old Olivetti Laptop that I dont use often cos its buried under so much crap on my desk and it doesnt like me anyway! Performs more illegal operations than Saddam Hussain! (Ooooo topical!) :o

Anywayz back to the grindstone. Gonna get this essay finished today!

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Lickszz

Just like the time we had a Drugs Czar, Keith Helliwell and finished up having more drugs than ever.

The government knew their stated target of "halving drug use in 10 years" wouldnt work so they hired Hellawell as a fall guy. The sad thing is he didnt realise his job was to take the blame and be fired, so he actually tried quite hard. Politics, eh.

The economics of spam are that 99.999% just gets deleted but 0.001% get a response. If you send out 10,000,000 at minimal cost then its worth it. I only get a few spam mails a week and whenever possible I telephone the spammer, waste their time and, if possible, their money. (eg, get samples posted or have a long discussion). The aim is to make spam uneconomic because the spammer has to filter out the spam responses!

I've been successful in minimising spam by not putting my address anywhere that an automated robot can pick it up, and by using a disposable address method. By going to a site like www.virtualnames.co.uk you can buy your own domain name. You then get any.address@mydomain.co.uk for yourself. Then when I register on things that I think might generate spam, I use an email address like somesite@mydomain.co.uk. If I start getting mail to that address from other companies then I know who has sold my address. Depending on the company and whether they have a stated privacy policy, I telephone them or just redirect that disposable email address back to them.

Also, a law was passed on 12th Dec that prohibits sending you email or SMS without your express permission (it's opt-IN not opt-out). If anyone can tell me what the law is called or point me to more details then I would be greatful!

Archived