Facebook is it time for me to move on?

I deactivated my account about 5 months ago, and straight away I felt a lot better.

My headaches stopped. Food tasted better. My pallid insipid complexion changed to one that glows!

I noticed the birds singing in the trees and the warm sun on my skin!

I went outside and met real people and friends and had real conversations with them.

I find Facebook useful for keeping in touch with friends who don't live in Sheffield especially those who have moved abroad. I think if it becomes something negative in your life though you should maybe have a break from it.

Laura Smith says: I Love my boyfriend so much and can't wait to marry him xxxxxxxxxxxxx These are my favourite ones, I wonder if her boyfriend knows how many blokes she's messed about with behind his back.

HAHAAAAH! I have a friend in a miserable relationship, his wife is always whining and hen-pecking him, yet on her facebook page she's constantly posting crap like:

" So in love with the best man a woman could want xxxxxxx"

" I love my husband more than anything in the world, so happy right now! xxxxxxxxx"

Also she does the usual stupid stuff like:

"Love our new 46" plasma telly! X-factor looks great! xxxxxx"

followed by:

"Can't wait to go on holiday! only 2 days to go! xxxxxxxx"

Yeah, I know :loopy:

What you on about time to move on? Facebook is handy at times and nice to keep in contact with people and to be nosey at pictures, this doesnt mean you have to update your status or put pictures on. It in a sense your a Sheffield Forum member, just with a bit more intrusion..

It's the intrusion that's the problem, some of us appreciate a little privacy in life.

HAHAAAAH! I have a friend in a miserable relationship, his wife is always whining and hen-pecking him, yet on her facebook page she's constantly posting crap like:

" So in love with the best man a woman could want xxxxxxx"

" I love my husband more than anything in the world, so happy right now! xxxxxxxxx"

Also she does the usual stupid stuff like:

"Love our new 46" plasma telly! X-factor looks great! xxxxxx"

followed by:

"Can't wait to go on holiday! only 2 days to go! xxxxxxxx"

Yeah, I know :loopy:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why not start a thread about it? Its such a big part of society today, why would somebody not start a thread asking how other people feel about it? I particularly found this thread interesting...

And I can completely understand how the OP feels, Facebook is like a drug. You know the stuff on there is complete rubbish, half of your "friends" on there aren't friends at all, you find out things that don't do you any good such as how in love your ex is with his amazing new partner (complete with happy, smiling pic of them together), you see when people break up, get back together, a relative dies, what someone has just had for tea, who they are gona "knock out" the next time they see them....

There are just some things in life that need to be kept private, things only those who are closest to us should know. Facebook is free access to everyone of your life, which effectively turns into a soap opera....

Errmmm, no, it's definitely not 'free access', you can only see what they want you to see (and vice versa).

Yet we can't seem to pull ourselves away from it.... I know so many people who feel exactly the same, keep deactivating their accounts only to be drawn back again because they feel they are missing out on something.....

Sounds pretty bizarre to me. I just use it when I want to, no deactivating my account, no being drawn back, no more than I feel the need to deactivate my email addresses and then reactivate them days later.

And I find this very interesting myself, the reasons behind it and so on. One of my favourite quotes from one of my REAL friends on Facebook is "In the end, Facebook will ruin it all".

Why would you have a non REAL friend on it at all?

PS Of course, not everybody is going to agree and there are those people who find it a very useful tool in their lives. Like everything, it has it's advantages and disadvantges. I live in a different country from my family and I find it useful to be in touch too, but if I didn't have it available, I'd still keep in touch with my family via another method..

Yeah true. I don't expect everyone to agree, my gran is never going to use it. I don't expect her to bring it up in conversation though. It just seems odd to try to seek justification for not using it.

Archived