Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

none of it it is very very easy. I don't think anyone had a problem with it,again why are trying to enlighten us to something so obvious?

Well (obviously) it isn't obvious is it?

Im afraid the language will have to be a bit industrial-Rape is the moment a man's genitals enter someone else's orifices without consent-nothing else, there cant be varying degrees of that.

So a woman who's been taken from the streets by the balaclava'd man, abused sexually without penetration-hasn't been raped.

One who's been out for a date with a man, ends up back at his house but doesn't want to have sex with him, but maintains a silence whilst he has sex with her anyway, has.

They are different offences, but the first scenario would probably attract the higher sentence.

Well (obviously) it isn't obvious is it?

Im afraid the language will have to be a bit industrial-Rape is the moment a man's genitals enter someone else's orifices without consent-nothing else.

So a woman who's been taken from the streets by the balaclava'd man, abused sexually without penetration-hasn't been raped.

One who's been out for a date with a man, ends up back at his house but doesn't want to have sex with him, but maintains a silence whilst he has sex with her anyway, has.

They are different offences, but the first scenario would probably attract the higher sentence.

why are you sharing this?

People still trying to argue that 'rape is rape'? Dear God. There have been plenty of examples throughout the thread of how there are varying levels of rape.

..and various examples cited of how rape doesn't vary, but the circumstances do.

..and various examples cited of how rape doesn't vary, but the circumstances do.

rape does vary if it is a consenting underage person. I think putting that in any category with forcing sex on someone is insulting in the extreme.

I also wouldn't say that someone who is silent even though they don't want to have sex has been raped which you seemed to claim above? If you are silent how are they supposed to know?

If that is a legal version of rape then there is another degree!

Forgive me, but I'm not debating the physical appearance of an 11 year old who could pass as an 18 year old. The fact remains she is not emotionally mature enough to have the capacity to consent to sexual intercourse with an adult.

Granted this is true, how is the adult supposed to know it?

No - all rape is wrong. If someone gets a woman drunk then has sex with her, this is wrong. If someone gets a woman drunk, kidnaps her and has sex with her it is worse still. Surely you can see that the two aren't simply black and white wrong or right?

A woman who is drunk and someone takes advantage of her is going to go through a shed load of anguish and be emotionally damaged but don't you think a young girl being kidnapped and gang raped, beaten and drugged means the sentence should be more harsh.

Intent - If a chap has sex with someone he believes is over the age of consent etc as opposed to just someone who forces someone into having sex, surely there was no intent of a malicious or "evil" nature in one where the other is plain evil.

Yes its worse but not because the rape is more serious but because there are other charges as well - kidnap, drugging, assault.

rape does vary if it is a consenting underage person. I think putting that in any category with forcing sex on someone is insulting in the extreme.

I didn't-have a look at my first post in this thread (#2)

All rape (apart from statutory rape) is the same uiw, in my opinion, since it's forcing someone to have sex with you without their consent-that should be the baseline starting point.

Archived