Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

You're missing my point, children lack the emotional intelligence to make rational choices of that nature-so she may well believe she's a willing participant but it's less likely to be the case as it would be with an adult.

oh please.

you can't speak for all 'children'. some children do lack the intelligence do decide whether they are being manipulated but so do a lot of 'grown ups'

As to what some one believes, how and who are you to make any calls of that nature for anyone but yourself?

An arbitary age of consent is demeaning to most 14year old's who are quite informed and quite capable of understanding the consequences of sex.

I understand and to a certain extent do agree with it, but as everyone is different it needs to be case by case whilst still having an arbitary limit.

I've read all these posts several times and just can't believe it.

All your reasoning and wording apply for a heterosexual relationship.

Now then, for all of you who have been so active in this thread, think you go to a pub, have a pint and wake up in the morning having been raped by another bloke.

I didn't vote as the correct view wasn't listed - there are no degrees of real rape, but to say that a 17 year old hs raped his 15 year old consenting girlfriend on the basis that she is not of age to truely consent is bizarre... It's not really rape, by definition, but legally it actually is...

Now then, for all of you who have been so active in this thread, think you go to a pub, have a pint and wake up in the morning having been raped by another bloke.

Well, it HAS been mentioned somewhere in here, just can't remember at which point.

I didn't vote as the correct view wasn't listed - there are no degrees of real rape, but to say that a 17 year old hs raped his 15 year old consenting girlfriend on the basis that she is not of age to truely consent is bizarre... It's not really rape, by definition, but legally it actually is...

For that reason I didn't vote either. My views are in post #12 (page 1) and it applies to same sex male rape also.

oh please.

you can't speak for all 'children'. some children do lack the intelligence do decide whether they are being manipulated but so do a lot of 'grown ups'

As to what some one believes, how and who are you to make any calls of that nature for anyone but yourself?

An arbitary age of consent is demeaning to most 14year old's who are quite informed and quite capable of understanding the consequences of sex.

I understand and to a certain extent do agree with it, but as everyone is different it needs to be case by case whilst still having an arbitary limit.

Boyfriday said EMOTIONAL intelligence, not intelligence. A 14 year old may KNOW enough to make the right choice but due to their hormones and the way their physically different brain (compared to an adults) affects their emotions and judgement, may not be able to make the right decisions about such situations.

oh please.

I did say 'less likely', not 'always'. Besides which, I believe it's generally considered distasteful that an adult could legitimately have sex with a child, 'consenting' or otherwise, remember it's the adult being prosecuted-not the child.

It may well be demeaning, but I'd rather err on the side of caution where the activity involves children who are at an age where they're experiencing neural pruning, which affects their behavioural skills.

You don't see the slight contradiction in that statement?

Boyfriday said EMOTIONAL intelligence, not intelligence. A 14 year old may KNOW enough to make the right choice but due to their hormones and the way their physically different brain (compared to an adults) affects their emotions and judgement, may not be able to make the right decisions about such situations.

I think we're on the same wavelength with this one RootsBooster.

It has been highlighted already..

Don't try and make this a gender issue, it isnt. Plenty of men - gay or straight - are raped as well, as prosecuting their attackers is just as important.

Rape is a man sticking his dick inside a woman (or a man) without them agreeing to it

You don't see the slight contradiction in that statement?

yep I do, which is just the way it is. The blanket age is good but also wrong as one day you can't consent and the next its ok to.

I think that legally this is not rape.

It's unlawful sexual intercourse.

Archived