Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

yep I do, which is just the way it is. The blanket age is good but also wrong as one day you can't consent and the next its ok to.

But the line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise all acts of sex with a child would be open to trial and debate. At least with an arbitrary age, adults know where they stand and the penalties for digressing.

Personally I believe 16 is a reasonable compromise, any younger and I believe many immature children would become prey to manipulative adults, any older and it would deny young people (who are considered old enough to fight for their country) the opportunity to form relationships.

I didn't vote as the correct view wasn't listed - there are no degrees of real rape, but to say that a 17 year old hs raped his 15 year old consenting girlfriend on the basis that she is not of age to truely consent is bizarre... It's not really rape, by definition, but legally it actually is...

No its not.

I didn't vote as the correct view wasn't listed - there are no degrees of real rape, but to say that a 17 year old hs raped his 15 year old consenting girlfriend on the basis that she is not of age to truely consent is bizarre... It's not really rape, by definition, but legally it actually is...

Is sex with an under-age girl classified as rape? I thought it was only if she was under 13 that she was considered incapable of giving consent and over that age the crime was unlawful sexual intercourse.

Does anyone know for sure?

Is sex with an under-age girl classified as rape? I thought it was only if she was under 13 that she was considered incapable of giving consent and over that age the crime was unlawful sexual intercourse.

Does anyone know for sure?

i think it's 16. and, yes, sex with an under-age girl is rape.

i think it's 16. and, yes, sex with an under-age girl is rape.
Well I've never seen where underage sex is prosecuted under rape charges, isn't something like having sex with someone under the age of consent?

Well I've never seen where underage sex is prosecuted under rape charges, isn't something like having sex with someone under the age of consent?

you might be right. i though it was the same thing as statutory rape. will have to look it up.

you might be right. i though it was the same thing as statutory rape. will have to look it up.

For about the hundredth time... we don't have a crime of statutory rape in this country! You people have been watching to many US cop shows.

For about the hundredth time... we don't have a crime of statutory rape in this country! You people have been watching to many US cop shows.

ok. i'll take your word for it. what is it called when you have sex with someone under the age of consent?

Actualy Jerry Lee was 23 years old not forty when he married Myra, what I'm saying is that it was within the law at the time where he lived.

And no I wouldn't have liked my daughter to have married at 13.

and that's the point, it might have been 'within the law' then but that still didn't make it right. hence the scandal etc.

in this day and age, no one in their right mind would want their 13 year old daughter to have sex. and it's against the law in most, if not all countries.

but it was/and still is acceptable to some.

and that's the point, it might have been 'within the law' then but that still didn't make it right. hence the scandal etc.

in this day and age, no one in their right mind would want their 13 year old daughter to have sex. and it's against the law in most, if not all countries.

but it was/and still is acceptable to some.

No one in their right mind in this country you mean. Different countries are brought up on different morals. No one is to say whose is right.

Archived