Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

But there should be. I'm sure we could all think of different examples where one rape is worse than another.

Yeah lets play a game of would you rather!

MC Spyda, would you rather be raped:

by your best friend

by a guy you work with

or by a random stranger?

Which of these do you think would be more fun?

How can one be worse than another? I used my stabbing analogy earlier. Is it better to be stabbed by a friend than by an enemy?

I and other people have given examples previously.

A woman who has said yes, but then changes her mind half way through, but the guy doesn't stop instantly has been raped. That is nowhere near as bad as a woman being straight up raped from the outset and has never given consent.

K, it matters how you are raped, not by whom.

A woman who has said yes, but then changes her mind half way through, but the guy doesn't stop instantly has been raped.

Indeed. She has. If we are playing with hypothetical rape then if a woman says "no, stop. I don't want sex anymore," and you carry on she has been raped.

I and other people have given examples previously.

A woman who has said yes, but then changes her mind half way through, but the guy doesn't stop instantly has been raped. That is nowhere near as bad as a woman being straight up raped from the outset and has never given consent.

K, it matters how you are raped, not by whom.

I'm curious to know how you have come to this conclusion.

Perhaps you work with rape victims? or you've had some other extensive experience? Or perhaps you think thats just 'common sense' - that its easy to predict how someone will feel after they've been violated like that.

I'm curious to know how you have come to this conclusion.

Perhaps you work with rape victims? or you've had some other extensive experience? Or perhaps you think thats just 'common sense' - that its easy to predict how someone will feel after they've been violated like that.

It's impossible to know how any individual will feel after being violated, but I don't think the law should take into account who the person is, because it doesn't matter who it is, they have broken the law regardless. What can and should be taken into account, is what exactly the woman has had to endure.

Do you think it is bad as the other rape?

I think mitigating cicumstances should be considered, but that is the judge's perogative, not the laws. The law should say rape is rape; no first degree rape, no accidental rape, no "oops I did it again" rape.

I think mitigating cicumstances should be considered, but that is the judges perogative, not the laws. The law should say rape is rape, no first degree rape, no accidental rape, no "oops I did it again" rape.

I guess we agree in a round about way then.

It's impossible to know how any individual will feel after being violated, but I don't think the law should take into account who the person is, because it doesn't matter who it is, they have broken the law regardless. What can and should be taken into account, is what exactly the woman has had to endure.

What I'm trying to say is, if it came down to it, one might rather be very violently raped by someone they dont know than raped by ones own partner, especially if it was a case of 'not stopping' when asked.

It might have an even worse effect on the victim than being attacked by a random psycho.

I think mitigating cicumstances should be considered, but that is the judge's perogative, not the laws. The law should say rape is rape; no first degree rape, no accidental rape, no "oops I did it again" rape.

And certainly no 'date rape' vs 'serious rape'.

Archived