Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

With all respect, there's no need to be so dismissive of others' comments. You can intellectualize and break it down if you like, but ultimately, that's all your doing. The mere act itself still exists within a massive range and saying 'that's another crime entirely' does not in any way mitigate the crime itself.

It might do in a court of law, but that's not what we're talking about here. Nor will that in any way make the victims of rape feel any better about their situation ("don't worry, love, ronthenekred says you were merely raped; everything else is another crime entirely...").

You're mistaken. That's exactly what the topic is about. The thread is the result of Ken Clark putting his foot in it. And he's the Lord chief justice. He made a mistake and he's intelligent, supposedly. Imagine the opportunity the likes of bassman62 and cohorts to get it wrong. It's almost beyond comprehension because of a lack of it :D

If you want to rant or create silly analogies, which are ten a penny it seems, then start a new thread. When you ask a serious question on rape and follow it with a poll, then in my eyes you'd better get it right unless you wish to look like you didn't understand the poll, even though the OP didn't understand the ramifications of his ill thought out "yes" respnce. Or maybe that was his purpose :suspect:

Surely you're not serious as regards points of law when you vote on such an issue. You can sit here all day inventing your scenarios but those scenarios when put to the test would be scrutinised by our legal system.

I am very serious. Are you going to answer the question I asked?

If I was drunk and having sex with a girl and she told me to stop and I didn't stop as she asked, I could easily say to myself, "Hey, It's already rape, I may aswell just carry on and rape her to my hearts content seeing as it's all the same, no more harm done ay".

What's the law got to do with whether we think some cases of rape are worse than others? It has nothing to do with what the law says, it's about whether we think rape can vary in severity. Are you blatantly denying this is the case, even with the above examples?

I apologise matey it seems you took it as an insult.

Ignorance is only a term for lack of knowledge. In one form or other we all guilty of the lack of it. I've read the posts I've read the law on rape. I can only conclude you didn't. That just made you ignorant of fact in relation to fiction, as shown in your vote.

My opinion on the subject isn't based on the law, and unless I'm mistaken, neither is the poll. Whether the law believes there are differeing degrees of rape is totally seperate to whether we as people believe rape can vary in its severity.

If the poll is strictly about what the law says, then I actually agree that there are no degrees when it comes to the law, apart from underage sex. But surely if the poll is about that, then there can be no debate as the law is there for all to see.

No idea, but I would be glad to be educated on this. If that is the case, then would that mean it could be classed as rape if I inserted an object into someones mouth too?

did I read that wrong? or are you being disingenuous? because that looks like you are interested in law as a baseline to work from.

Ahh I didn't see this reply. That makes some sense if true.

Seems like you really are interested.

I see where you are coming from. What might seem worse to an outsider may not necesarily be what is worse in reality for the individual.

Well done, you're staying with it.

There is no proof as it is purely hypothetical. What you are referring to is an entirely different subject altogether.

Excellent, proof is needed and law defines guilt or innocence through evidence. You're still on board. Reluctantly I know but what the hell.

My opinion on the subject isn't based on the law, and unless I'm mistaken, neither is the poll. Whether the law believes there are differeing degrees of rape is totally seperate to whether we as people believe rape can vary in its severity.

If the poll is strictly about what the law says, then I actually agree that there are no degrees when it comes to the law, apart from underage sex. But surely if the poll is about that, then there can be no debate as the law is there for all to see.

Bang! right back to where you started.

Debate how you think the law should be changed if you're not interested how present law is applicable. otherwise you're just spouting sentimentality. Did the poll ask for sentimentality? ya think?

Debate how you think the law should be changed if you're not interested how present law is applicable. otherwise you're just spouting sentimentality. Did the poll ask for sentimentality? ya think?

Let's have a look at the poll question and the answers

"Does rape come in degrees?

Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others"

No - It's all equally bad

I have no idea"

Where within this question does it mention law? It is asking a straight forward question regarding whether or not we believe that some rapes can be worse than others.

Archived