Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

or you have consent but it is not legal consent:D

So back to my make believe scenario, would you be relaxed about your 14 year old daughter 'consenting' to having sex with her 30 year old boyfriend? Would you believe she was capable of making such a decision rationally.

Interesting thread,

SO!!!!! Technically I had statutorily raped a 15 year old, but I do not for 1 second think I personally did anything wrong morally at all, legally yes but I would argue to the end of time that the law would be wrong to prosecute me for that.

We don't have a crime of statutory rape in this country. I don't know why anyone thinks that we do, especially Ken Clarke who should know better as he is Justice Minister and is supposed to know about these things.

So what alternative are you suggesting? Should we abolish the age of consent altogther?

There are three possible alternatives.

One - the existing version - you have a fixed point in someone's life; anyone having sex with them one second before that point has committed a rape because they were too young to consent, but anyone having sex with them one second after it has done nothing wrong.

Two - you don't have an age of consent at all;

Three - as Ken Clarke was trying to suggest - you accept that there's a grey area and the offences at one end of it aren't nearly as serious as the offences at the other. A fifteen year old giving consent probably does have the maturity to know what she's doing; a twelve year old very probably does not.

And of course, none of this applies even remotely to a case where the woman, or girl, has not given consent.

Three - as Ken Clarke was trying to suggest - you accept that there's a grey area and the offences at one end of it aren't nearly as serious as the offences at the other. A fifteen year old giving consent probably does have the maturity to know what she's doing; a twelve year old very probably does not.

And of course, none of this applies even remotely to a case where the woman, or girl, has not given consent.

Is 3 an alternative? I thought this had been in motion for years.

Is 3 an alternative? I thought this had been in motion for years.

Perhaps it is in practical terms. As far as I'm aware, a strict reading of the law still says that if the women you have sex with was only 15 years 365 days and 11 hours old, you have raped her; but I don't recall anyone ever being convicted of rape in those sort of circumstances.

Surely getting raped for longer is worse than a quick rape.

Just like being beaten repeatedly is worse than a single punch.

So lets say for example, 2 people have consented, then during the act, the female decides she no longer wants to continue, the male gets carried away and for a brief few seconds carries on, but then realises his wrong doing and stops. I would have thought in this case, some 'credit' would be given for not carrying on.

Archived