Degrees of rape - The poll

Does rape come in degrees?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Does rape come in degrees?

• Yes - Lots of types - some worse than others
    • No - It's all equally bad
    • I have no idea

Also, Rupert, a woman can't be charged with raping a man because she doesn't have a penis. There are other catagories she is charged under.

Don't try and make this a gender issue, it isnt. Plenty of men - gay or straight - are raped as well, as prosecuting their attackers is just as important.

she can be. it's not so much about the act of sex. it's how it's done. the boy reacts as it should do regardless of what your mind wants.

you get a 'hard on' or women speak of 'getting wet' etc even though they were totally terrified and just wanted it to end.

Yes, like I say, unlikely. As you say the parents had to push for charges to be brought.

true, true, K. but once the charges were brought the system still saw it fit to send the kid down.

if it means that other victims have clearer messages that rape will not be tolerated and would report more and judges would have clearer guidelines etc then, i suppose, as age has to be judges by numbers, it was the 'right' thing to do. still leaves me cold, though.

Sorry Kaimani - I didn't mean that a woman can't sexually assault a man or have sex without his consent (she clearly can), I meant there are different charges for that. As there probably should be for having sex with an underage person.

In the example you gave, I strongly disagree with the prosecution ever having been brought, and I suppose it just shows the pervasiveness of class and money in the justice system?

However - rape is rape - whether its 'date rape' or 'gang rape' its all serious rape and that is where ken clarke and I disagree.

Sorry Kaimani - I didn't mean that a woman can't sexually assault a man or have sex without his consent (she clearly can), I meant there are different charges for that. As there probably should be for having sex with an underage person.

In the example you gave, I strongly disagree with the prosecution ever having been brought, and I suppose it just shows the pervasiveness of class and money in the justice system?

However - rape is rape - whether its 'date rape' or 'gang rape' its all serious rape and that is where ken clarke and I disagree.

i agree with you on that. rape, at the base of it, is rape. the beating up, the slipping pills in a drink, the intimidation etc are all other charges to be added, but the point remains =sex was had without consent. no question.

I do also think that Ken, and other people commenting on rape and sexual assault in public need to be aware that there will be many men and women listening who have been victims. I doubt he would have talked about something like child abduction that flippantly on 'five live'.

So back to my make believe scenario, would you be relaxed about your 14 year old daughter 'consenting' to having sex with her 30 year old boyfriend? Would you believe she was capable of making such a decision rationally.

you seem to be having difficulty understanding that it would depend on the 14 year old in question. If I don't like something that does not mean it should be banned. What if they were still together in 10 or 20 years time?

Also, Rupert, a woman can't be charged with raping a man because she doesn't have a penis. There are other catagories she is charged under.

Don't try and make this a gender issue, it isnt. Plenty of men - gay or straight - are raped as well, as prosecuting their attackers is just as important.

I'm a lawyer. (albeit retired.)

One of th reasons that rape is deemed to be such an heinous offence is the possibility that it may need to an unnecessary (and unwanted) pregnancy.

(I don't have a problem with that)

The maximum sentence for rape is 'Whole of life' imprisonment.

What's the maximum sentence for a female who violates (we are not alloewd to call it rape) a young male?

'Oh, you poor lady. The court is acutely aware that this malicious horny 15 year old male persuaded you (using hypnosis or other male guiles, perhaps? to persuade you to suck his brains out for four days and we - the court - feel that the Florida court were totally wrong for dragging this child out of your bed. You poor lady! You have suffered enough" Go home.

That's the law. That useless piece of skin in the end of a penis is called a 'male'. It has no human rights (At law in England)

I'm a lawyer. (albeit retired.)

One of th reasons that rape is deemed to be such an heinous offence is the possibility that it may need to an unnecessary (and unwanted) pregnancy.

(I don't have a problem with that)

The maximum sentence for rape is 'Whole of life' imprisonment.

What's the maximum sentence for a female who violates (we are not alloewd to call it rape) a young male?

'Oh, you poor lady. The court is acutely aware that this malicious horny 15 year old male persuaded you (using hypnosis or other male guiles, perhaps? to persuade you to suck his brains out for four days and we - the court - feel that the Florida court were totally wrong for dragging this child out of your bed. You poor lady! You have suffered enough" Go home.

That's the law. That useless piece of skin in the end of a penis is called a 'male'. It has no human rights (At law in England)

I don't doubt for a second that male victims have little protection against rape and sexual assault under the law either. In some circumstances I'll bet they have less.

As I said I have no wish to turn this into a gender issue.

So does anyone know what the legal definition of rape is?

Yes. You can read it here.

In summary: any act of non-consensual intercourse by a man with a person, including penetration of the vagina, anus and mouth.

The definition of consent is that the person has agreed to intercourse by choice and has the freedom and capacity to make that choice.

And I have no qualms whatsoever about making rape a gender issue. Most perpetrators are male and most victims are female. It is both a consequence and a cause of gender inequality.

Archived