Why don't supermarket trolleys have proper brakes?

It's a valid point.

No it is not. How is wheeling a shopping trolley with dodgy askew wheels any kind of measurement on your ability to drive a car? A car is nothing like a shopping trolley. Anyone who thinks driving a car is like wheeling a shopping trolley are the ones who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Because you're supposed to hold onto it.
You're also supposed to pull it, not push it. They were designed to be pulled, iirc.

i do that, Mecky. Wheeling a trolley around a shop, how uncool is that? :hihi:

You're also supposed to pull it, not push it. They were designed to be pulled, iirc.

How can that possibly be true? :suspect:

Either way, you're holding onto it, they certainly aren't designed to be rolled down slopes full of shopping.

i do that, Mecky. Wheeling a trolley around a shop, how uncool is that? :hihi:

It's impossible to pull a shopping trolley around a supermarket. You would have to either walk backwards holding onto it with two hands and not be able to see where you were going, or use one hand and look the opposite way, therefore being unable to see whether your trolley was getting in anyone's way or hitting anyone.

• 1 year later...

we run a farm shop in shropshire and wanted supermarket trolleys with the added feature of a hand brake that you would find on airport trolleys for easy customer use when they are pushing it around our shop. we approached an online company called shopping trolleys direct and they supplied 8 units for us with the hand brake feature.

i think all supermarkets should use supermarket shopping trolleys with hand brakes as sometimes when the load is heavy it is safer and easier to slow the trolley down whilst you are shopping in store or out in the car park to avoid bumping into things!! :hihi::gag:

I assume the supermarket themselves would be liable to any damage caused by a runaway trolley.

Why on earth would your car insurance cover you for damaging someone else's car with a shopping trolley?

Why would the supermarket be responsible for something you did?

Yesterday I called at the supermarket for some supplies. That done I returned to my car the load my purchases. The operation was complicated by the need for my little darling needing to be loaded and strapped in first. My back was only turned for a few seconds before I heard a chap honking his horn wildly. I turned to see my trolley load of groceries heading off towards some other parked cars, and had to break off from the strap-in operation to prevent an accident.

Repeat above several times before I finally managed to empty the trolley.

I just wonder why supermarket trolleys don't have brakes like the ones at airports. I assume the supermarket themselves would be liable to any damage caused by a runaway trolley.

I recall arriving at the top on an inclined moving floor, at an airport, behind an old couple who had forgotten that they needed to grip the handle before they could start pushing the trolley again as they tried to walk away from the moving floor. Its surprising how quickly all the people and trolleys can bunch up as everybody screams at the couple to grip the handle.

Just thinking about inclined moving floors, at supermarkets (eg outside Morrisons at Hillsbrough or ASDA at the Parkway). Do their shopping trolleys have brakes, or do you need to hold them still on the inclines?

Archived