Do exams prove intelligence

why do you have to revise if not to refresh the memory

It does help to have the facts fresh in your mind, but how you use those facts to answer the questions will depend on the exam. There are basic exams which will simply ask you to regurgitate facts, but others will ask you about finding a solution to a problem or expressing a view on a topic that will need you to pick and choose from the knowledge that you have and apply it in an appropriate way

Exam technique as well sadly - as well as thrusting knowledge onto the youth we teach we not only have to train them to be able to recall 2 years worth of knowledge under pressure but also to jump through every hoop the various different exam boards decide to put in their way of the grades they are targeted. I'll give an example - RE GCSE - our exam paper consists on 4 questions each worth 20 marks. Each question is broken down into 4 further sections worth 2, 4, 8 and 6 marks. What they have to do to achieve these marks is express and justify their opinion in a very specific way and regurgitate knowledge - also in a very specific way which is unique to the exam board and has to tick their boxes for marking. We spend a lot of time teaching said mark scheme which arguably would be better spent teaching more knowledge but hey ho.

It's the most unsatisfying, annoying and downright pointless part of my job.

But saying that I'm not a fan of coursework or the modular exam system either. Not sure what the answer is.

Those tests they have with the triangles , circles, boxes and diagrams that require continuing in logical sequence or any questions requiring logical reasoning definitely denote a person's IQ especially if the test has a time limit

Those tests they have with the triangles , circles, boxes and diagrams that require continuing in logical sequence or any questions requiring logical reasoning definitely denote a person's IQ especially if the test has a time limit

You mean something like an IQ test?

No, they denote someones ability to perform well in tests with "triangles, circles, boxes and diagrams that require continuing in logical sequence or any questions requiring logical reasoning."

jb

No, I'm stoopid, and I have 14 GCSE at A*-C

Didn't want to go to college or uni, what with me being so stoopid, but I do have an excellent memory.

Its so good that I clearly remember not being able to answer the very first question in my maths exam (which was the hardest question on bottom sets paper, and easiest on my top set one)

I also found it impossible to revise, as it seemed to confuse my brain, and make me wonder if what I already knew to be correct, was wrong. Things are easier for me when left to memory, no refreshing.

No, they denote someones ability to perform well in tests with "triangles, circles, boxes and diagrams that require continuing in logical sequence or any questions requiring logical reasoning."

jb

That largely is the definition of an IQ. How, or indeed if, it relates to the wider notion of "intelligence" is arguable at best.

IQ tests were (originally) designed by people who considered themselves to be more intelligent than average, and designed in such a way that those people would be good at them, thus proving they were a good test of intelligence, and those people were good at them thus proving they were indeed more intelligent than average. Entirely circular reasoning, and hence, worthless.

Archived