Working in Barnsley

Asking on someone's behalf.. I currently work very close to home so never really have to think about the costs of petrol.

I suspect there are plenty of people here who work in Barnsley.

How much would a commute to Barnsley cost? Need to know how much extra costs have to be budgeted for the petrol etc. Of course does depend on the car, assume it is a medium/large size car eg Mondeo.

I for one know that when I considered working in Leeds, I worked out that at least 2-3k extra (if not more! If we consider that I would have had to drive and unable to get the train) had to be added to your salary for it to be worth the bother compared to a job in Sheffield.. Barnsley isn't quite so 'bad' I'm sure!

Perhaps this should have been put into Sheffield discussions, but I thought it may be a little contentious as Barnsley isn't Sheffield strictly speaking :-)

Asking on someone's behalf.. I currently work very close to home so never really have to think about the costs of petrol.

How much would a commute to Barnsley cost? Need to know how much extra costs have to be budgeted for the petrol etc. Of course does depend on the car, assume it is a medium/large size car eg Mondeo.

I for one know that when I considered working in Leeds, I worked out that at least 2-3k extra (if not more! If we consider that I would have had to drive and unable to get the train) had to be added to your salary for it to be worth the bother compared to a job in Sheffield.. Barnsley isn't quite so 'bad' I'm sure!

Perhaps this should have been put into Sheffield discussions, but I thought it may be a little contentious as Barnsley isn't Sheffield strictly speaking :-)

This all very 'vague', do you know which Country you and your 'friend' are in? :hihi:

For something like a 2.0L Mondeo your probably looking at around 30-35mpg given the prevalent driving conditions. Using google maps you can determine the distance travelled and from that the amount of petrol and subsequent there of.

As a guide I commute to Bradford (yes I know, the clunge of Yorkshire) which is around a 70 mile round trip per day which costs me in the region of £70 per week.

jb

Parking, me old dear.

Parking in Barnsley will add costs to your trip. I don't recall the name but there is a car park at reasonable cost near KFC.

From the town end roundabout. once KFC is om your left, turn off, take first left and into the multi story.

It has guards all day and you can book long term tickets that allow you to park at a reasonable cost and have a good chance your stereo will still be there when you get back.

I think if you lived in Birdwell it would cost £0.37,£5 from sheffield and about £345 to fly from NYC!You canpost on SF EVEN if it is related to Barnsley!this is a hub of comments for all things SY

Parking, me old dear.

Parking in Barnsley will add costs to your trip. I don't recall the name but there is a car park at reasonable cost near KFC.

From the town end roundabout. once KFC is om your left, turn off, take first left and into the multi story.

It has guards all day and you can book long term tickets that allow you to park at a reasonable cost and have a good chance your stereo will still be there when you get back.

Dont mention parking in Barnsley.Nowhere to tie up your horse!

thanks for all the helpful replies. I don't understand the sarky comments though. Are you implying that I am asking for myself? It wouldn't be anything to be ashamed of, so why would I try to conceal the fact that I am working in Barnsley?!. Asking on behalf of a colleague who I don't know all that well, was talking to him and he was unsure about the potential commute, so I decided to ask on here for him. He is not particularly savvy with the internet and I decided to ask myself instead of telling him to register here etc etc. Anyway, I thought about a grand and a half sounds reasonable. It's working for Barnsley College I believe. Not sure which site though, but central Barnsley anyway. Perhaps it is better to get a train? Edit: not sure where he lives but think it's on the north side, walkley possibly.

Archived