Would you work nights for £6.05 per hour?(if there were no benefits at all)

Would you work nights and weekends for £6.05 per hour?(no benefits availa.)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Would you work nights and weekends for £6.05 per hour?(no benefits availa.)

• yes
    • no
    • dont know

And of course amongst the million plus unemployed there is nobody with your skill set? How lucky you must be. If the benefit system was stopped you watch how quickly your wages drop through the floor. You watch how often your house gets burgled or your car stolen by people desperate for food. Look at Victorian England if you want to see what happens with no benefits system, or alternatively look at the crime rate in the US. You want to live in a society like that, because I sure as something don't.

PS I can, and have, fitted internal doors into a Victorian frame AND I do have the tools required to do the job.

And your point is? :confused:

You have taken this from a discussion about working nights to unemployment and crime. Very interesting indeed.

So you are a joiner. I wasn't to know that :roll:

No. I would live a life of crime instead. Probably selling drugs.

There's no shame in admitting that, even if you are being sarcastic. The profits can be high. So, you have to way up the risks.

I'd offer your employer to do YOUR job at 80% of the wages you're on.

I'm too stupid to understand this, as you would have to have my skills, and work for practically nothing. And I didn't ask this of you anyway. :confused:

I already replied to this thread earlier but my reply has vanished for some reason :confused:

Anyway... What i said is this.

A few years ago i was working for £28 an hour in the construction industry. These days the industry is on it's backside.

If it gets to the point where i need the money i would gladly work for £6.05 an hour. The time of day or night means nothing to me in all honesty.

I didn't see your deleted post but...

:thumbsup:

It shouldn't have to be a thumbs up. I'd expect anyone answer the same way, if they were honest, intelligent, or realistic.

I am currently unemployed and was paid £16ph (£32,00 pounds per year) in my last job but don't have any savings etc.

Yes I would take any job including a minimum wage one just to preserve my pride. I would rather work for very little than not work at all.

Of course you would. We'd all have to.

And of course amongst the million plus unemployed there is nobody with your skill set? How lucky you must be. If the benefit system was stopped you watch how quickly your wages drop through the floor. You watch how often your house gets burgled or your car stolen by people desperate for food

If the benefit system was stopped in an instant, then of course, the whole country would collapse with regards to crime etc. The country would collapse if oil was cut off tomorrow, or supermarkets all had empty shelves tomorrow. That wasn't the question though. I never suggested that the benefit system should be shut down in one.

The question was quite simply, if there were no benefits, would you work for 6.05. 50% of the voters have answered honestly (minus people who would turn to crime, as starvation would be the only other alternative, unless you had money saved, or other income from somewhere)

Look at Victorian England if you want to see what happens with no benefits system, or alternatively look at the crime rate in the US. You want to live in a society like that, because I sure as something don't.

Modern humans have managed to live for what 20,000 years? If you are using Victorian England as a model, then you are comparing industrialised nation vs non-industrialised.

And your point is? :confused:

You have taken this from a discussion about working nights to unemployment and crime. Very interesting indeed.

So you are a joiner. I wasn't to know that :roll:

I suggest you make an effort to read the posts previously entered. I was responding to a post by *_ash_* and you responded to my post with a comment that was off topic and then have the cheek to complain about my being off topic. Pot and kettle? Oh, and I'm not a joiner, by trade, but I could do the job, and would do it, for a lot less than you if I lost my current job and there was no safety net. As I'm sure you are aware a lot of other people could. Business owners would love to see the safety net removed, imagine, sealed bids for who would do a job for the least amount of money! You think without a benefit system you would get a job offering £6.05 per hour for unskilled or semi-skilled labour?

Having worked on the minimum wage recently I found that I just couldn't cover the cost of living. This in turn eventually put me into a situation where I stopped answering the phone and the door because in all likelihood it was some debt recovery company wanting money that I just didn't have. I live in crap rented accommodation and don't allow myself any real luxuries.

I will never work for such low wages again, these jobs are for people who don't live in the real world and talk about 'self respect' knowing they don't have to be put into that same position. There is no self respect in allowing yourself to be ripped off by some scumbag employer, and being subjected to the scummy PAYE tax regime whilst paying extortionate rent for crap accommodation.

Modern humans have managed to live for what 20,000 years? If you are using Victorian England as a model, then you are comparing industrialised nation vs non-industrialised.

Yes modern humans have starved, stolen, murdered and been murdered for thousands of years. Lets go back to the 'good old days' with gangs of starving people waylaying anybody who could have money. I honestly thought the people of this age were supposed to be civilized. I can see that that civilization is only as deep as some peoples pockets. As for Victorian England not being industrialised, go look up the meaning of the word industrialised.

Having worked on the minimum wage recently I found that I just couldn't cover the cost of living. This in turn eventually put me into a situation where I stopped answering the phone and the door because in all likelihood it was some debt recovery company wanting money that I just didn't have. I live in crap rented accommodation and don't allow myself any real luxuries.

I will never work for such low wages again, these jobs are for people who don't live in the real world and talk about 'self respect' knowing they don't have to be put into that same position. There is no self respect in allowing yourself to be ripped off by some scumbag employer, and being subjected to the scummy PAYE tax regime whilst paying extortionate rent for crap accommodation.

:thumbsup:

I've made an error in my last post, which iuchi will pick up on... but ...

I don't get this iuchi...

You say -

Business owners would love to see the safety net removed, imagine, sealed bids for who would do a job for the least amount of money!

Someone at my work said, 'my god, ash you're so wrong, if it wasn't for NMW they could pay us £1 an hour'

I pointed out, that they pay more than NMW now, so that makes no sense.

ash - 'If they had to pay us NMW, then why aren't paying us that instead of more??'

staff - 'yeah but they could pay us £1 if it weren't for labour introducing it'

ash - **despair**

I already replied to this thread earlier but my reply has vanished for some reason :confused:

Anyway... What i said is this.

A few years ago i was working for £28 an hour in the construction industry. These days the industry is on it's backside.

If it gets to the point where i need the money i would gladly work for £6.05 an hour. The time of day or night means nothing to me in all honesty.

Aaah but when you worked in construction all the lads used to get brilliant wages until the eastern Europeans came in when they halved overnight.

If you had say a nurse, a social worker, a tube driver or a teacher who are unionised they would have a complete and utter hissy fit and go on strike if somebody foreign came in and invaded their jobs so their wages dropped big time.

But if you are a British or Irish or French or German manual labourer or semi skilled worker, apparently it is totally acceptable to discriminate against men who have worked worked hard for days or weeks

Regardless of the situation with dole handouts, I would work nights for that sort of money if it was that or not work.

I have the guts to get out of a problem even if it means doing something I don't want to.

Those that wouldn't tend to be the same lazy idiots who complain Polish people are taking their jobs.

I've made an error in my last post, which iuchi will pick up on... but ...

I don't get this iuchi...

You say -

Someone at my work said, 'my god, ash you're so wrong, if it wasn't for NMW they could pay us £1 an hour'

I pointed out, that they pay more than NMW now, so that makes no sense.

ash - 'If they had to pay us NMW, then why aren't paying us that instead of more??'

staff - 'yeah but they could pay us £1 if it weren't for labour introducing it'

ash - **despair**

You say? I said no such thing.

So you think that employers are out there to pay workers as much as they can, whilst still making a profit. That is almost laughable! Do you honestly think Mr Businessman is thinking let's put employee wages above profits!

With over one million low/semi/unskilled workers out there how many employers do you think WOULDN'T take advantage of the situation? Do you honestly think if a trained joiner came to your employers and told them they would do the job for minimum wage your employer wouldn't jump at the opportunity?

Archived