Youth screwed over by their elders and landlords whilst britain sinks

If you had a plant that was wilting would you water it or would you let it die ……. Rather simplistic I know but you get the drift, how are the government supposed to stimulate growth.

Depends if you have any water or not!

There are some huge figures being bantered about regarding the debt, apparently its %3 of GDP, would you be happy to have a loan that represented only %3 of your income.

Where do you get that from? The ONS rates the UK debt at 76.1% of GDP and a current net borrowings of 10.2% of GDP and that's not including the money spent to bail out the banks.

So run up yet more debt that as to be paid off with interest then? Not enough debt around for ya?

Taking people out of unemployment to give them government jobs is hardly cost effective - stopping paying someone X amount to pay them 5X is a net loss of 4X. Newer houses houses still need upkeep and paying for - will "affordable rents" cover this? Obviously this depends on what you call an affordable rent - but with rents much below the current market level I seriously doubt it's possible. As for selling houses to pay for new ones given the cost of land and materials I'm not sure this would work unless you are selling flats - which there is already something of an oversupply of. Certainly when I sorted out the buildings insurance on my house the rebuild cost was considerably above what I actually paid for the property.

But take into consideration that providing work will lower unemployment, housing and other benefits that are paid plus provide meaningfull employment in many different fields.

The real cost of building an house is different to what it is sold at plus I am sure the council owns plenty of land that could be built on.

Most of the council houses that were sold must have been paid for several times over in rent when you consider the cost of building some of them in the early 1900s and so monies received paid for them was profit.

I feel strongly that money raised from the sale of council houses should have been reinvested in new buildings.

But take into consideration that providing work will lower unemployment, housing and other benefits that are paid plus provide meaningfull employment in many different fields.

It may lower unemployment but if the ex unemployed are now employed in the public sector then they will still be being paid out of the public purse and being paid much more than the cost of paying the same individual benefits. While there is certainly a social benefit for people being in employment rather than on benefits this is rather outweighed i you have to bankrupt the country to do it.

The real cost of building an house is different to what it is sold at

It is indeed - in the case of some buildings the cost of constructing - well reconstructing - the house is higher than the market price of that house

plus I am sure the council owns plenty of land that could be built on.

Possibly, possibly not, without the details that's just supposition.

Most of the council houses that were sold must have been paid for several times over in rent when you consider the cost of building some of them in the early 1900s and so monies received paid for them was profit.

And any money raised from this now long gone.

I feel strongly that money raised from the sale of council houses should have been reinvested in new buildings.

Now there I agree with you - unfortunately it wasn't and we have to live with that...

3% of the money raised by the government via taxation is spent on housing benefit.

Where do you get that from? The ONS rates the UK debt at 76.1% of GDP and a current net borrowings of 10.2% of GDP and that's not including the money spent to bail out the banks.

Oops , don’t know where that came from,I suppose that’s what you get when you only pick up the tale end of a report.

In the calendar year 2010 the UK recorded general government net borrowing of £148.9 billion, which was equivalent to 10.2 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP).

At the end of December 2010 general government debt was £1105.8 billion, equivalent to 76.1 per cent of GDP.

Archived