Argos Returns.. Help needed

Hi,

My parents bought me a mini oven for my bedsit last november, and it packed up last week. It has 4 elements, 2 top & 2 bottom, and none of them will warm up at all, although power is getting to the unit.

I had the receipt, but have lost it, foolish i know, so i contacted argos and they say there is nothing they can do without proof of purchase, receipt or credit debit card statement.

Parent in the process of moving so all paperwork is in storage, and i simply cant afford to buy a new one at the moment.

Is there anything i can say or do to "persuade" argos to exchange the item, and i know they are probably well within their rights in their decision, but the item i believe is exclusive to them, its one of their cookworks range.

Your folks should call their bank and ask to receive a bank statement for the period they bought the item. This can then be traced by Argos as proof of purchase.

I've done something like this at Homebase which is owned by Argos I think. It was a hoover and I wasn't happy with it. I couldn't find the receipt but could trace back when I bought it. I phoned my bank and they gave me a date. I went into the shop with this information and the bank account number and they searched for it, found it and gave me the amount I spent back in vouchers. No questions asked about why I didn't want the hoover anymore!

It's fairly easy done, you just have to have a date of purchase. This probably won't work with a cash purchase though.

Was in the same position in February. My mum bought my daughter an Acer Aspire netbook for christmas and it was faulty by Feb. My mum had paid for it on her card and misplaced the receipt. Store would do nothing at all so we rang their customer service line. They took my mums card number and searched the purchase. They will do the same for you I'm sure, IF they paid by card. Give it a try, They are really helpful at customer service.

I got a brand new Toshiba laptop in replacement. Was more than happy.

Argos's 'company policy' does not supercede the law of the land and never has done

You don't need a receipt for faulty goods

If it was only purchased in November, chances are it was only manufactured in August or later, so the serial number will tell them it's still in guarantee

If Argos aren't playing ball, phone the manufacturer. It'll most likely be going to an authorised service agent for repair even if you take it to Argos, so cut out a layer of it possibly getting lost or damaged, and extra time without it

You don't need a receipt but you do need to be able to prove you bought it from the place you are returning it to somehow. With own branded goods this is fairly easy but with other items it is for you to prove it came from them and not another shop.

Manufacturer would be pointless in this case I'm sure, Argos won't repair an item like this, it'll get replaced by the manufacturer at some point but the value wouldn't make repair worth it.

Argos sell a lot of there items that have beed returned or are end of line stuff to small companies alot some people buy pallets of these and re sell them.

Vendors dont keep records of manufacturer serial numbers.

Ive worked in customer services and dealt with returns exchanges etc. To be quite honest you probably best to ask for a contact number for there head office because they are usually the ones that will offer you a replacement.

Argos sell a lot of there items that have beed returned or are end of line stuff to small companies alot some people buy pallets of these and re sell them.

Vendors dont keep records of manufacturer serial numbers.

Ive worked in customer services and dealt with returns exchanges etc. To be quite honest you probably best to ask for a contact number for there head office because they are usually the ones that will offer you a replacement.

If you've worked for them and that's what you have to say on the matter, I'm glad I blacklisted them 20 years ago and refuse to shop there (funnily enough over an electrical item dispute)

Thanks for all the replies,

I emailed argos earlier to express my disapointment with there response to exchanging a own brand product without receipt.

I got a telephone call from customer services, and she said that proof was need as i could have bought it from a car boot sale.

well i suppose i could have, but i didnt, so i guess in future , look after my paperwork better !!

Archived