Car problem need advice

I have a vauxhall astra small van 1.7 diesel & it wont start, just put another battery in it but it still wont start, advice on what could be the problem & cheapest solution to fix it?

Have you got a friend with a set of battery jump leads, if so get them to connect the negative lead from youir battery direct to the engine of your car. If the starter motor turns the engine over your problem is a broken earth lead between the chassis and engine on your car.

Hi, if your symptoms are that is doesn't attempt to turn over, just giving a click, and you have a good/new battery, then it is a good chance that your starter motor is the culprit as a few have mentioned.

then it is a good chance that your starter motor is the culprit as a few have mentioned.

But more likely the wiring.

Unfortunately when replacing something like an alternator or a starter motor, the very act of swapping the wiring will resolve the connectivity problems.

New unit goes in, everything working well and the old unit is perfectly serviceable!

Good luck with it anyway.

John X

Glad you got it sorted.

I don't know why, but your answer reminded me of many episodes of Neighbours and Home and Away where someone would be broken down and they'd be leaning on the ignition key with the engine going dagadagadagadagadaga and some mechanic bloke would go "You're starter motors's shot, mate!" or "Your battery's flat, mate!" :o

No wonder 'Motor Mechanic' is on the Australian 'Migration Occupations in Demand List'. ;)

John X

Archived