Need help tracking down lost relation from Sheffield

Hello everyone, I'm looking for help in tracking down my half brother. Two years ago my father died aged 73, it was shortly after this I learned he had a son in England. The only information I have is that he lived in Sheffield back in the late 50's to late 60's. He met a woman called Jane, who's father was a pub landlord. He'd lived with this lady and her father in the pub. I can only guess they were married. They had a son around 1964, his name is Michael. My fathers name is Anthony Noel O'Brien.

I know my information is very little, but any help at all would be great, thanks.

Thanks very much for the help! Have just looked up Michael S with the mother being Thompson on ancestry.co.uk.. Tried doing a search to match Thompson & O'Brien but no joy.. I'v no idea if he was married to that lady, but I guessed because of the times people would have to be wed to have a child?

I know here in Dublin he married my mother in 1968 in a registry office, which is an odd thing to do seems they were both catholic and could of married in the church.

Thanks for that address also, it will come in handy.

Just rang directory enquiries for a number for that address, they said I need the name of the people living there to give the number out, I chanced O'Brien, but no joy.

1968 Dir. gives, Grant, Leonard T.

Tried doing a search to match Thompson & O'Brien but no joy.. I'v no idea if he was married to that lady, but I guessed because of the times people would have to be wed to have a child?

Children have been born out of wedlock since the dawn of time ;)

I know here in Dublin he married my mother in 1968 in a registry office, which is an odd thing to do seems they were both catholic and could of married in the church.
This suggests that a divorce may have taken place - though no indication as to whether it was your mother or father... else this was a bigamous marriage (very common it seems), and one party or the other could not stand in the presence of god in these circumstances

How old was your dad when he came to Sheffield, and any idea why he came?

PS - the address was Masefield and not Mansefield wasn't it?

Children have been born out of wedlock since the dawn of time ;)

This suggests that a divorce may have taken place - though no indication as to whether it was your mother or father... else this was a bigamous marriage (very common it seems), and one party or the other could not stand in the presence of god in these circumstances

How old was your dad when he came to Sheffield, and any idea why he came?

PS - the address was Masefield and not Mansefield wasn't it?

He went there to work. I can only guess he went there in the 50's as he's often said he worked in the mines for a few years, lived as a lodger in some ladies house with other miniers, to then meeting this woman Jane and living with her in her fathers pub.

I honestly couldn't care if a child was born out of wedlock or not, I was just saying for those times, if ur living with the woman, in what is her family home and to not be married didn't seem to fit, but of course I could be wrong.

Archived