How long after cars been wrote off

Don't accept the first offer they give you as they always offer you low amount at first, it could take up to 6weeks but all depends on how good the insurance company is. Good luck

Research the price your old car was worth because they will offer you a low price hoping

you don't know and will be daft enough to accept.

Don't just research it, go to dealers and ask them to give you (on headed notepaper if possible - smile and be nice) a value for your car, based upon your description. Because as was said the first offer will be derisory. Be prepared to fight your corner or be prepared to take a hefty loss on the value of your car.

Slighty different I know but, some years ago my car was written off, the insurance apid out fairly quickly. Some months(?) later I had a letter from a man in Bradford asking if I had the spare key and the front of the CD player. I didn't reply, but if it was 'written off' how come he got the car repaired enough to drive it. Is this called cut and shut?

Slighty different I know but, some years ago my car was written off, the insurance apid out fairly quickly. Some months(?) later I had a letter from a man in Bradford asking if I had the spare key and the front of the CD player. I didn't reply, but if it was 'written off' how come he got the car repaired enough to drive it. Is this called cut and shut?

Not neccessarily... A "write off" doesnt always mean its smashed to pieces... It means that its not worth the value of the car to repair it...

In simple terms, if you have a car worth £1k... and damage totalling £1500 is sustained, then the insurer will write it off, paying you out what they believe the value of your car to be, rather than paying more than its actually worth to repair it.

Just because a car is a write off doesnt mean somebody won't buy it in the future and "do it up" so to speak...

:)

A car will normally be written off if the value of repairs exceeds approx 60% of the value of the car.

It sounds low but I was told this by my insurance company when someone ran into my car a few years ago.

I wouldn't want the car back anyway if it had serious damage no matter how well the car was repaired.

As has been said, do not accept the first offer. Research the prices of a similar car and be prepared to provide evidence if they disagree.

Your settlement has to put you back in the same situation as you were before the accident ie. with a car of similar values/spec/condition etc. as the one that was written off.

Re. courtesy car, this will depend on the OPs insurance and if it was their fault.

Oh, and Cat D & C can be put back on the road after an inspection (?) but cat B & A cannot. I think B can be stripped for parts but A has to be crushed.

I had my motorbike stolen in january and the insurance company told me not to bother claiming for theft as the excess was more than the bike was worth. They told me if i put a claim in i would probably owe them admin fees. Great !!!!

Archived