Being declared fit to work by the benefits agency

So, you are claiming that the non-motoring public subsidises the motorist.

I'd suggest that the extra £2 Million comes from the motoring public, who like me, work hard and generate economic growth; paying my 40% income tax.

Could you let me know what extra taxes a non-motorist pays, that I don't?

PS with regards to child benefit, I have no problem giving up my child tax credits and my child benefit. I do, however, hope that it isn't wasted on scum who 'breed for benefits'.

PPS Cream, custard or ice cream?

100% spot on.

Most sensible people only have children if they know they can afford to give the child a decent upbringing. Sometimes the cost is more than they estimated. I would have no issues for those people to claim child benefit and for people who receive child benefit and don't need it to contribute.

People (like the OP) who clearly can't afford to bring up 1 child and decide to bring 2 more into the world should really grow some common sense before whining about what is a very generous system.

I know people who say they cannot work due to depression, bad back, bad chest and two that have 'general debility'.

These ailments however do not stop them going on holidays and 'dancing the nights away', propping up the bar all day, but far too ill to work on the other side of it.

The general debilitation (including a family member) has led to a massive weight increase due to staying in bed until 3-4 pm everyday as they need their rest - unless they are on holiday when they can miraculously get out of their pits in the morning.

I slipped a disc when I was 19 and suffer constant low back pain which at times was so severe that I had to have time off work - the new thinking is that you should keep active so now I go to work (nurse - lifting/rolling people etc) and pace myself as much as possible.

I have also had 2 severe breakdowns and had 4 months and 6 months off work. I still work...and yes you can get a job with a diagnosis of depression.I changed jobs 5 years ago.

The way to do it is not to declare the depression on the application form....just write in the health section 'Will discuss at interview'. If you impress at interview they will consider you for the job.

Some people don't want to work but try to make out they are desperately trying for a job. My friend's ex used to keep applying for hospital porters jobs and the first thing he said at interview was that he wouldn't be able to push trolleys or lift!

I have also met people with severe arthritis, bone deformities, blindness and deafness who all work...it's your attitude not your ailment that prevents you getting a job.

There are people who would find it impossible to work and they deserve all the financial support they can get - but don't wave a blue badge at me as proof of your disability because I will show you two people who have them but are both capable of walking further than I can with my bad back!

I know people who say they cannot work due to depression, bad back, bad chest and two that have 'general debility'.

These ailments however do not stop them going on holidays and 'dancing the nights away', propping up the bar all day, but far too ill to work on the other side of it.

The general debilitation (including a family member) has led to a massive weight increase due to staying in bed until 3-4 pm everyday as they need their rest - unless they are on holiday when they can miraculously get out of their pits in the morning.

I slipped a disc when I was 19 and suffer constant low back pain which at times was so severe that I had to have time off work - the new thinking is that you should keep active so now I go to work (nurse - lifting/rolling people etc) and pace myself as much as possible.

I have also had 2 severe breakdowns and had 4 months and 6 months off work. I still work...and yes you can get a job with a diagnosis of depression.I changed jobs 5 years ago.

The way to do it is not to declare the depression on the application form....just write in the health section 'Will discuss at interview'. If you impress at interview they will consider you for the job.

Some people don't want to work but try to make out they are desperately trying for a job. My friend's ex used to keep applying for hospital porters jobs and the first thing he said at interview was that he wouldn't be able to push trolleys or lift!

I have also met people with severe arthritis, bone deformities, blindness and deafness who all work...it's your attitude not your ailment that prevents you getting a job.

There are people who would find it impossible to work and they deserve all the financial support they can get - but don't wave a blue badge at me as proof of your disability because I will show you two people who have them but are both capable of walking further than I can with my bad back!

Well said. I too have had issues with my lower back (resulting in 4 operations). I still have probelms, but I work; I just work around my problem.

Poor attitude and a fales sense of 'entitlement' are holding this country back.

Well said. I too have had issues with my lower back (resulting in 4 operations). I still have probelms, but I work; I just work around my problem.

Poor attitude and a fales sense of 'entitlement' are holding this country back.

And sadly because of people who display the above attitudes, there are a minority of people with genuine, but often hidden conditions that do prevent them from working. Often a physical disability is less of a barrier to working than a serious mental health issue.

I was watching a programme recently where people who didn't work due to illness or disability were being interviewed about the possibility of returning to work. One young man said he couldn't work because he'd hurt his back, and he was 'a lifeguard'. It didn't seem to dawn on him that being unable to do that specific job didn't preclude him finding something else. :roll:

If it's a temporary "hurt" and he could reasonably expect to return to life guarding in some time then I guess that's reasonable.

If it's a permanent problem, then he's not a life guard any more which just makes him an unemployed person with a bad back.

If it's a temporary "hurt" and he could reasonably expect to return to life guarding in some time then I guess that's reasonable.

If it's a permanent problem, then he's not a life guard any more which just makes him an unemployed person with a bad back.

The inference was on the second option. My real concern was that a young person in their 20s wasn't being proactive in looking for an alternative career. The attitude of not wanting to work and/or develop oneself at that age is unthinkable.

The inference was on the second option. My real concern was that a young person in their 20s wasn't being proactive in looking for an alternative career. The attitude of not wanting to work and/or develop oneself at that age is unthinkable.

I agree, but unfortunately we have a benefit system that has grown to such an extent that some people take the easy way out. We need to weed these wasters out and ensure that those in genuine need get the help they need.

I also agree with you that some mental health conditions are a serious barrier to full time paid employment, unfortunately some mental health conditions (not all) can be faked very easily.

And that's why assessments are needed, so that someone can tell him that whilst he can't be a life guard any more, there's plenty of jobs he can still do and so he'll be moved to JSA and be required to search for work.

If you are capable of working more or less full time, why are you claiming DLA? :loopy::rant:

My you do like using the loopy to abuse people don't you. One wonders why you do it when faced with a perfectly reasonable post.

Because you are entitled to it. It attempts to offset the extra costs that you incur because of your condition. Rather than make the local authority provide it, you get to use it yourself to provide for care however you want. It's called empowerment and recognises that not everyone has the same needs.

My you do like using the loopy to abuse people don't you. One wonders why you do it when faced with a perfectly reasonable post.

Because you are entitled to it. It attempts to offset the extra costs that you incur because of your condition. Rather than make the local authority provide it, you get to use it yourself to provide for care however you want. It's called empowerment and recognises that not everyone has the same needs.

To be fair he does it because he doesn't think its just habit to him. I retorted because I don't think either and I posted out of aggression which I regret now, I was trying to help him.

Archived