On the bus today.

I have a physical disability, but unless you know me, you probably wont realise this. I am relatively young and look physically fit, which I am not.

I was sat in the disabled seats at the front of the bus. It was quite full. A few stops later, an old couple got on. They were stood near me. After a few minutes of standing, the lady said to me "Well aren't you going to get up?" In a pretty rude manner. It did peeve me quite a bit, so I simply said "No". I probably shouldn't have been rude back, but there you go. To which a younger guy near me started tutting and shaking his head, said that she can have his seat, while looking at me giving me dirty looks and the muttering some kind of expletives.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Whatever happened to people not making presumptions based on appearences?

I have witnessed one of our very own members in a wheelchair demand a woman 'move' while on the tram. The woman did move. Her pram and all :|

I never realized the bay was for wheelchair users and then prams.

That's correct, 0742. It's the same protocol as for the buses.

Wheelchair users have first claim to the space (which is why it's decorated with big signs designating it as the wheelchair bay)

Then the pushchairs have next call, and finally the general public. (and their suitcases and fishing tackle, which invariably get dumped in there)

I sit by the fire exit, or on the disabled seats, if not, I stand up or lay across two.

Long legs should be a recognized disability on our cramped buses.

And they should move all the 'open door - close door' buttons from directly above the door to the side of it, as when you get on, you bang your head and the door closes shut on you!

Buses should be forced to cater more for young men, due to extortionate car insurance. Most buses are full of young men nowadays, the disabled and lazy have mobility scooters which at 8mph travel faster than the bus, young women generally drive as they can afford the insurance. And old women in the public sector can generally afford taxis.

Why didn't you tell the woman that you were, in fact, disabled? Rather than leave her guessing and tutting?

Because at the time she annoyed me and probably wouldn't have believed me anyway. But afterwards I did think to myself that maybe I should have just let her know, even though she was rude to me. But oh well. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Archived