On the bus today.

She may well have been rude, and maybe you shouldn't have to explain it, but a) you probably also then came over as rude to her and everyone else, bringing yourself down to her level and b) if you'd explained calmly and politely that some disabilities are not obvious she might have realised her error, felt ashamed and / or not made the same hasty misjudgement another time.

Mind you, I do have sympathy with you. My mum is in a similar position and often gets comments or glares when she comes out of a disabled toilet. And there's never any excuse for rudeness.

I'd have told her why I needed the seat, watched her squirm a bit in regret for jumping to conclusions and then insisted she took the seat anyway.
Why do you think she'd have squirmed? She would then have wanted to see his disability pass. Without documentary evidence, he could just be making it up. :)

He probably feels bad now for being so curmudgeonly and he's making a pre-emptive strike in case she comes on here with her sad story about a rude young man who refused to give up a seat for a frail octagenarian.

Why else would he be flaunting his ill behaviour to the world? :hihi:

Why do you think she'd have squirmed? She would then have wanted to see his disability pass. Without documentary evidence, he could just be making it up. :)

He probably feels bad now for being so curmudgeonly and he's making a pre-emptive strike in case she comes on here with her sad story about a rude young man who refused to give up a seat for a frail octagenarian.

Why else would he be flaunting his ill behaviour to the world? :hihi:

:hihi: Yeah I do wish I had just told her, and I could have just shown her my pass if need be. I'm sure you can appreciate though that her rudeness caught me off guard.

I don't tihnk my actions have helped the reputation of actual young fit males.

:hihi: Yeah I do wish I had just told her, and I could have just shown her my pass if need be. I'm sure you can appreciate though that her rudeness caught me off guard.

I don't tihnk my actions have helped the reputation of actual young fit males.

Don't worry about it, mate! At the most you might be the topic of a general moan down the lunch club and your ears will be burning. At the least, she'll have forgotten all about it by now. One of the first symptoms of old age is memory loss! ;)

This thread has me a little disappointed though - I always thought the other benefit was being allowed to be rude and people just go "ohhh how cute/funny" or "nice to see he has spirit left at his age" :D
Awww, bless!! Listen to 'im going on, he's a right 'un, int 'e?

now TAKE OFF your rose tinted spectacles immediately!! Never gonna happen, they'll just complain you smell of pee and shouldn't be allowed on the bus with continent people and wanting to sit down before you fall down, taking seats that younger people need :rolleyes:

That's correct, 0742. It's the same protocol as for the buses.

Wheelchair users have first claim to the space (which is why it's decorated with big signs designating it as the wheelchair bay)

Then the pushchairs have next call, and finally the general public. (and their suitcases and fishing tackle, which invariably get dumped in there)

Yes, those signs are a bit of a giveaway. :hihi:

Archived