Poor young students. Shouldn't we help them a bit?

When leaving my friends tonight after a night out, walking home in the rain, a young man wanted to join me under my umbrella.

I said, "OK", and we were talking, and he told me that he was a second year degree student studying quantity surveying (or something) and he said he was 22, and in £24,000 of debt.

I feel sad for him. 22, and £24,000 in debt. That isn't right, surely.

When leaving my friends tonight after a night out, walking home in the rain, a young man wanted to join me under my umbrella.

I said, "OK", and we were talking, and he told me that he was a second year degree student studying quantity surveying (or something) and he said he was 22, and in £24,000 of debt.

It's crap.......but it's also his choice.

My daughter will be 30 this week and allmost at the end of her student debt. I can't remember how much her debt was but she definately benefited from her years at Uni.

She has a crack job now which is reaping the rewards of her studying and her student debt.

The sad thing is that all those incurring the student debts now might not have a job to go to when they leave uni.

That's enough to guess what sort he is.

I carry an umbrella if I think it's going to rain. The fact this student didn't suggests he's no clue how to manage his life and that's probably why he's in such a bad way.

Stuff him.

That's enough to guess what sort he is.

I carry an umbrella if I think it's going to rain. The fact this student didn't suggests he's no clue how to manage his life and that's probably why he's in such a bad way.

Stuff him.

This is the second time in a few hours i have agreed with something you posted. I think I'm going mad :o

It has to be said though. These students are supposed to be our brightest minds yet a lot of the time they do not have the common sense of a 10 year old.

So he can't afford an umbrella and is 24k in debt. Is he spending it all on books and things ? As you met him on a night out I'm guessing a substantial amount of that 24k has ****** up a wall.

Jog on.

Majority is used to pay the wages of uni lecturers and landlords.

Like dole for the middle class, but paid for directly by next generation proles.

Second year student in £24k of debt? Definitely a wind-up!

Tuition fees £3k accommodation fees say £4k living expenses £2-3k so where has £14k come from?!

Anyway, the loan repayment schemes are fair and I am doing OK in my second year. As it is based on a % of salary and you don't pay it back if you can't afford to, it's a pretty damn good interest free loan, to be fair.

Second year student in £24k of debt? Definitely a wind-up!

Tuition fees £3k accommodation fees say £4k living expenses £2-3k so where has £14k come from?!

Anyway, the loan repayment schemes are fair and I am doing OK in my second year. As it is based on a % of salary and you don't pay it back if you can't afford to, it's a pretty damn good interest free loan, to be fair.

You sir will go far. Common sense and a bit of get up and go.

Archived