Poor young students. Shouldn't we help them a bit?

That's enough to guess what sort he is.

I carry an umbrella if I think it's going to rain. The fact this student didn't suggests he's no clue how to manage his life and that's probably why he's in such a bad way.

Stuff him.

He may be young and foolish, but who wasn't?

At least he was polite, and had manners.

So he can't afford an umbrella and is 24k in debt. Is he spending it all on books and things ? As you met him on a night out I'm guessing a substantial amount of that 24k has ****** up a wall.

Jog on.

Strange how some born-again teetotalists are as foul-mouthed as the people they are most likely to be complaining about.

Second year student in £24k of debt? Definitely a wind-up!

Tuition fees £3k accommodation fees say £4k living expenses £2-3k so where has £14k come from?!

Anyway, the loan repayment schemes are fair and I am doing OK in my second year. As it is based on a % of salary and you don't pay it back if you can't afford to, it's a pretty damn good interest free loan, to be fair.

Not a wind up, just telling what I was told. Must admit though, I did repeatedly ask more than twice if I was correct. 22-and £24,000 in debt-really?

What happens to the debt if you can't afford to pay it back?

BTW-good luck with your studies.

Strange how some born-again teetotalists are as foul-mouthed as the people they are most likely to be complaining about.

I'm not a born again teetotalist. I drink now but not as much as I did then ( if you do drink as much in your mid 30s as you did at 20 you sir have a problem ) What I didn't do was whinge at total strangers about how much debt I was in. I'm sure it's almost becoming a competition on how much debt they can get. 24k in two years ? The mind boggles.

No, it's not right. But anything worth having is worth working for isn't it? If they were giving out college degrees for free, they'd be worthless. OTOH, I don't entirely buy into the whole, "you get what you pay for" argument, either. Things are WAY more expensive than they need to be.There has to be a happy medium. If the UK is anything like the US, funds for students are drying up like snowflakes on a hot griddle. Our daughter just graduated college and has some student debt, but it's not as bad as it could be because she got scholarships and grants and we helped her. As it is now, full ride scholarships are reserved almost entirely for the truly needy, extraordinary athletes or scholars. She's now working, and while it's not her dream job, she's darn sight better off than if she hadn't completed college.

Well it seems to me that the government have gone from one extreme to another-offering pointless degrees for free, to offering them at great expense. Why does the govenment not regulate what courses are being offered, with interest to most likely employment afterwards?

Nice that you helped your daughter out. I wonder how other parents are coping with this in the current climate of tuition fees.

What I find mildly disturbing is the character assasination going on because the poor kid forgot his umbrella?!!! Maybe his umbrella was stolen? Ok, maybe he got drunk and lost it. I don't know. The point is, how many of us managed our money perfectly at that age? I suppose I wasn't too bad, but I didn't do as well as I could have, that's fer suuure. My money got blown on clothes, makeup, a way nicer car than I needed, etc. What every young(ish) person needs is a serious sit down with someone who can help them make the right decisions about their future. Maybe he comes from a family where no one knows how to handle money and that sort of thing wasn't stressed? I am continually surprised at the people (my age) who don't bother to shop around, who buy things they don't need, and who never investigate to see if they can get something cheaper. Just yesterday, I saw my neighbor putting up solar screens on his windows. (Tis that time of year) I asked him if he was getting the rebate from the electric company. He looked dumbfounded and said he's never heard of it. :confused:

Well said Sierra, it seems somewhat difficult to get decent customer sevice these days unless you do some personal research and do your own homework and policing. Can't expect youngsters to be so savvy.

I'm not a born again teetotalist. I drink now but not as much as I did then ( if you do drink as much in your mid 30s as you did at 20 you sir have a problem ) What I didn't do was whinge at total strangers about how much debt I was in. I'm sure it's almost becoming a competition on how much debt they can get. 24k in two years ? The mind boggles.

How noble of you.

But you lived in a different era, and if you did go out and have a few drinks in your 20's-why are you complaining about someone who does?

Competition? I don't think so, it's nothing anyone strives to achieve.

Jog off.

Blimey, did you just share an umbrella or are you now picking out curtains with this nice young chap ( be prepared to pay for them if you are )

If he wants to go out for a few sherbets in-between studying who am I to argue. But you asked if we should help him and his ilk. No, although I'm not sure why fees should go up to 9k. I'm also sure the economy doesnt need the amount of graduates we currently have. the media is trying to split the population into graduates and doley scum when there are many shades. Not jogging anywhere.

The problem is, University has been used as a means of fiddleling the unemployment stats since John Major's years as PM, Tony Blair carried this on, as did Gordon Brown.

The fact was that realistically, from around the 1990s, politititians realised that unemployment among the youth was a political timebomb and so to massage the stats, sent as many as our youth of the university as possible.

The problem is the the chickens are finally beginning to come home to roost. IT was a marvelous smokescreen, and kepts peoples backs turned, especially during the Blair's years.

Thats the issue.

Jog on - that applys to tinfoilhat, metaphoria.

Fareats, Sierra - you two can jog in only pants and vest

£24k in his 2nd year? Sounds highly unlikely to me unless being careless with his money.

As to what happens to the debt after graduation .... my uni debt still takes the majority of my income and that's with a reasonable salary. I anticipate I'll be paying it off until I'm nearly 40. If I'm careful.

So he can't afford an umbrella and is 24k in debt. Is he spending it all on books and things ? As you met him on a night out I'm guessing a substantial amount of that 24k has ****** up a wall.

Jog on.

What planet do you live on? Most of that has been spent on paying the university and paying for somewhere to live.

Archived