Union Jack Flag - Upside Down

I have seen a few Union Jack flags hung around, and it amazes me how many people in this country STILL cant hang our nations flag correctly, and some of them had no idea there was a right and wrong way to put it up!

Why, what difference does it make in the real world?

It's a fair point if referring to anything official like Royal ceremonies or what not, but not your average Joe in the street.

If a person wishes to make representation of themselves as patriots then surely they should have a)the knowledge to fly it correctly b)the decency to respect the flag they are flying and c)the common sense to try and do it correctly.

I agree as a bit of "hurrah"/decoration etc it isn't important, but i feel that people flying flags are inevitably trying to make a statement. Unfortunately the one they are making is i'm stupid enough not to know how to fly my nations flag.

To deliberately fly the flag upside down is a signal indicating a situation of 'DISTRESS'. It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth!

There's been numerous threads on here giving mention to this. On one of them some numpty couldn't even grasp the fact that there is a wrong way to fly it .... despite several detailed explanations from several members.

I reckon about 75% of the Union Flags I see are upside down ...... including the one flown in BNP-run Maltby for the first six months or so.:rolleyes:

If a person wishes to make representation of themselves as patriots then surely they should have a)the knowledge to fly it correctly b)the decency to respect the flag they are flying and c)the common sense to try and do it correctly.

I agree as a bit of "hurrah"/decoration etc it isn't important, but i feel that people flying flags are inevitably trying to make a statement. Unfortunately the one they are making is i'm stupid enough not to know how to fly my nations flag.

To deliberately fly the flag upside down is a signal indicating a situation of 'DISTRESS'. It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth!

There's been numerous threads on here giving mention to this. On one of them some numpty couldn't even grasp the fact that there is a wrong way to fly it .... despite several detailed explanations from several members.

I reckon about 75% of the Union Flags I see are upside down ...... including the one flown in BNP-run Maltby for the first six months or so.:rolleyes:

and there we go, the vast majority of flags flying these days are a statement from idiots

i agree with willman, IF you have to fly a flag to prove your englishness at least learn how to do it correctly

i agree with willman, IF you have to fly a flag to prove your englishness at least learn how to do it correctly

tbh flying the UJ proves your a Brit, i fly the cross to prove i'm English.

The actual reasoning behind the correct way to fly the flag is in respect of the nationalities contained within it.

Scots before Irish that sort of thing.

I apologise if there have been other threads about this and dont mean to drag up old arguments over it.

My dad was in the army for 30 years and as kids, we were drilled into respecting the flag, the crown and her majesty, also the history of the flag and it's origons. Hanging it upside down is still seen as Insulting The Crown and has never been changed, and believe it or not, though never carried out naymore, is classed as Treason still.

The Union Jack has carried this nation through 100's of years of wars and battles and once feared but very much respected and seen as a sign of hope and peace, but also power, pride and the will to fight.

Archived