Union Jack Flag - Upside Down

But if you are concerned about that, surely you should be concerned at calling the Union Flag the Union Jack?

Unless you happen to be on a boat at the moment, in which case I apologise.

See post #6.

This was discussed in previous threads too

Perhaps they're in distress.

That's what I thought. Perhaps there's someone in the building looking at you, whilst in distress and wondering why the OP is not respecting that the Union Flag is upside down and seeing if indeed the person is in need of help.

My dad was in the army for 30 years and as kids, we were drilled into respecting the flag, the crown and her majesty, also the history of the flag and it's origons.

How profoundly depressing. Was potential disrespect backed up by the prospect of a sound thrashing or did you just get a double shift cleaning the local toff's chimneys?

How profoundly depressing. Was potential disrespect backed up by the prospect of a sound thrashing or did you just get a double shift cleaning the local toff's chimneys?

thats what i thought :P

DRILLED IN

isnt that child abuse? drilling YOUR thoughts and wishes into your children.....or else

I apologise if there have been other threads about this and dont mean to drag up old arguments over it.

My dad was in the army for 30 years and as kids, we were drilled into respecting the flag, the crown and her majesty, also the history of the flag and it's origons. Hanging it upside down is still seen as Insulting The Crown and has never been changed, and believe it or not, though never carried out naymore, is classed as Treason still.

The Union Jack has carried this nation through 100's of years of wars and battles and once feared but very much respected and seen as a sign of hope and peace, but also power, pride and the will to fight.

The bit about it being treason is a myth.

This post makes me want to burn the bloody thing, let alone hang it upside down....

When that big football game thing was on in Africa last year, I noticed lots of people were draping flags out of their bedrooms on their SIDES!

I thought this was particularly stupid as some of the 'none fast' colours could slide off ... as evidenced by some of the flags just having a big red cross remaining!

The bit about it being treason is a myth.

This post makes me want to burn the bloody thing, let alone hang it upside down....

As it forms part of the published history of the Union Flag it's not a myth it's theoretical but not mythical.

When that big football game thing was on in Africa last year, I noticed lots of people were draping flags out of their bedrooms on their SIDES!

I thought this was particularly stupid as some of the 'none fast' colours could slide off ... as evidenced by some of the flags just having a big red cross remaining!

Funny bugger!

In amerika apparently, the rule is, that the flag mustn't touch the ground. All school kids are taught this.

When September the 11th. happened, there was such a demand for stars and stripes in New York, to hang in shops and out of apartment windows, that at one point there appeared a massive roll of stars and stripes flag material, straight from the printers, which was parked on a street corner and was being cut off one flag at a time for the queue of customers.

Because the 'entrepreneurs' were two Korean blokes, they weren't aware of the 'flag mustn't touch the ground' rule and this massive barney broke out in the middle of the street about respect for the flag.

At one point someone shouted "it's bad enough that we've had a hole blown in our city without having to put up with our flag being dragged in the dirt."

I burst out laughing and got told off for it!

Children, don't get too worked up about flags. They are only pieces of cloth with designs on them at the end of the day! :D

John X

Archived