Union Jack Flag - Upside Down

I apologise if there have been other threads about this and dont mean to drag up old arguments over it.

My dad was in the army for 30 years and as kids, we were drilled into respecting the flag, the crown and her majesty, also the history of the flag and it's origons. Hanging it upside down is still seen as Insulting The Crown and has never been changed, and believe it or not, though never carried out naymore, is classed as Treason still.

The Union Jack has carried this nation through 100's of years of wars and battles and once feared but very much respected and seen as a sign of hope and peace, but also power, pride and the will to fight.

thought the people who gave p their lives, and the lucky ones who made it through, did that...

The UJ upside down is the exact same as it would be the right way up. Now the UJ back to front is the wrong way :)

No its not. Correct way - thick white band to the top. Upside down it would have a thin white band at the top.

No its not. Correct way - thick white band to the top. Upside down it would have a thin white band at the top.
What willman says above, but just to add that this applies on the flag pole edge .... whichever side you view the flag from (dependent on wind direction)

What willman says above, but just to add that this applies on the flag pole edge .... whichever side you view the flag from (dependent on wind direction)

thank you very much i missed that point .

and there we go, the vast majority of flags flying these days are a statement from idiots

The only reason you come to that conclusion is because you can't stand the idea of anybody showing any national pride. Isn't it funny how people that DO fly flags out of their windows etc of their own accord do not insist that everybody else does or try to force it on others, yet you as somebody that DOESN'T display the flag by your own choice, never tire of berating those that do.

i agree with willman, IF you have to fly a flag to prove your englishness at least learn how to do it correctly

Nonsense. It isn't a case of proving anything. You don't need to fly a Union Flag to prove you're British, or prove you are that you're British to fly the Union Flag. If people accidentally get it the wrong way up, I'm sure even if pointed out to them, whatever motivations they had for displaying it in the first place will remain the same and undented. If the suggestion is that a simple mistake totally dismisses and nullifies those motivations, that's plainly absurd.

I think that you will find that the flag can be rotated 180 degrees and still look the same.

If you had a canvas painting of the flag and took it off the wall, spun it 180 degrees it would still have the thick white band on top how it did when it was the correct way round. the only way the flag is wrong is when you view it from the back/reverse and this is only the case if its attached to the pole on the wrong side. The union jack has a front and back, not a top or bottom as the design of the flag can be rotated and still look the same when facing the same side ie front.

I have seen a few Union Jack flags hung around, and it amazes me how many people in this country STILL cant hang our nations flag correctly, and some of them had no idea there was a right and wrong way to put it up!

I'm just glad it is still flying.

I think that you will find that the flag can be rotated 180 degrees and still look the same.

If you had a canvas painting of the flag and took it off the wall, spun it 180 degrees it would still have the thick white band on top how it did when it was the correct way round. the only way the flag is wrong is when you view it from the back/reverse and this is only the case if its attached to the pole on the wrong side. The union jack has a front and back, not a top or bottom as the design of the flag can be rotated and still look the same when facing the same side ie front.

That was never contested.

Archived