Union Jack Flag - Upside Down

I think that you will find that the flag can be rotated 180 degrees and still look the same.

If you had a canvas painting of the flag and took it off the wall, spun it 180 degrees it would still have the thick white band on top how it did when it was the correct way round. the only way the flag is wrong is when you view it from the back/reverse and this is only the case if its attached to the pole on the wrong side. The union jack has a front and back, not a top or bottom as the design of the flag can be rotated and still look the same when facing the same side ie front.

A look at this these flags will help you to understand that the flag does have a top and bottom and does not have a front and back, unless it is a picture of a flag and there isn’t much point looking at a picture from the back.

Correct way to fly flag, assuming hoist to the left

Incorrect way to fly flag, assuming hoist to the left

When you look at the flag flying and attached to the pole the thick white band will be at the top, if it is hung the wrong why up the thin white band will be at the top, if as you say you rotate it and move the bottom right corner to the top left corner the thick white band will still be at the top but now you won’t be able to attach it to the pole.

I have seen a few Union Jack flags hung around, and it amazes me how many people in this country STILL cant hang our nations flag correctly, and some of them had no idea there was a right and wrong way to put it up!

It's the Union Flag, it's only the Union Jack when flown on the Jack Staff of a ship, it amazes me how many people don't know that.:D

It's the Union Flag, it's only the Union Jack when flown on the Jack Staff of a ship, it amazes me how many people don't know that.:D

Historically it was initially only flown on ships,England and Scotland still flew their own flags on buildings etc.That's probably why Union Jack is more prolifically used.

There's been numerous threads on here giving mention to this. On one of them some numpty couldn't even grasp the fact that there is a wrong way to fly it .... despite several detailed explanations from several members.

I reckon about 75% of the Union Flags I see are upside down ...... including the one flown in BNP-run Maltby for the first six months or so.:rolleyes:

If it was really 75% flown upside down then at least 25% must be done deliberately so!

I have seen a few Union Jack flags hung around, and it amazes me how many people in this country STILL cant hang our nations flag correctly, and some of them had no idea there was a right and wrong way to put it up!

I know there's a right way up but I neither know nor care what it is. :|

The only reason you come to that conclusion is because you can't stand the idea of anybody showing any national pride. Isn't it funny how people that DO fly flags out of their windows etc of their own accord do not insist that everybody else does or try to force it on others, yet you as somebody that DOESN'T display the flag by your own choice, never tire of berating those that do.
The saddest element in this thread is the comment you respond to here.

It really is a shame that some people so resent the nation and society that shelters and provides for them that they fail to understand normal, traditional national pride and must associate flying our national flag with their political opposites and hatreds.

• 2 months later...
Its disrespectfull,same as putting a stamp upside down with the queens head on it.imo

You might be offended by it, but the person flying it or putting the stamp on probably doesn't mean to do it in a disrespectful way.

When I put a stamp on a letter, I just put it on, I don't take care to make sure it isn't upside down. It's only for postage.

Archived