Autotrader scam?

Last night, looking for a new car, me and Mrs F saw a couple of cars that looked a bit cheap for the age and condition. The adverts didn't have a contact number but had an email contact address. Infact there were a few adverts like this. Anyway, we decided to email about a couple of the cars, at different email addresses. This morning, we had a reply from both emails but with exactly the same wording.

Hi,

I still got the 2005 MINI COOPER S for sale at the price of £2000. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. I bought it from UK and it is still registered here. We live in the Northern part of United Kingdom, in a beautiful sea-side city called Thurso.

We are a nice couple of pensioners (I have 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old) and don't use the car so often. We love to spend our time on the road but now we use to travel by plane, so a car is no more useful for us. Also we sold our house and bought a big farm here in Thurso. If you are really interested we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you personally. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection.

Please tell us where do you live? I am sure that we will find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting, a suitable place for both. We have the faith that this can be a good deal!

P.S. I appreciate if we can continue our conversation by e-mail. The mobile signal is poor here, we have to walk over 2 miles for a good phone call.

Thank you and let me know,

Philip

Both different cars, different email addresses but the same wording.

Is this a scam, as there are quite a few items on autotrader with email contact only.

Trader posing as a private seller.

Whenever I contact anyone regarding a car they have for sale I just mention 'the car you have for sale' as opposed to naming the make. This usually weeds out the traders.

Wording in contacts makes them appear foreign as well.

OMG, we just went through this same thing. I don't live in the UK, but trust me, this nonsense is EVERYWHERE. The husband's car was recently totalled in an accident. We looked and looked and LOOKED. Sad to say, the number of scams out there outnumber the number of honest people selling a vehicle. Dealers were better, but only just. Car dealers posting in the private party section are maddening! You think they'd at least use a different camera/phone number and word their ads differently. :rolleyes:

And this bit doesn't fill one with trust either:

""Please tell us where do you live? I am sure that we will find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting, a suitable place for both. We have the faith that this can be a good deal!""

Might as well have just said, "We don't want you to know where we live so let's meet somewhere neutral!!":suspect:

Archived