Autotrader scam?

It's obviously a scam, but I'm puzzled as to how exactly it works.

My guess is that you arrange to meet, they show up and then take your £2k at knife point. I can't see how else the scam works.

Not sure as never done this but could they possibly ask for money up front or something and then arrange for viewing of a car and not show up! :huh:

Like you say it does make you wonder how a scam of this nature could work otherwise.

It's obviously a scam, but I'm puzzled as to how exactly it works.

My guess is that you arrange to meet, they show up and then take your £2k at knife point. I can't see how else the scam works.

I believe they actually sell you the car, but its not theirs to sell and has fake docs with it. 6 months later the police turn up at your door, cease the car and tell you it belongs to a HP company, or reported stolen.

The people who fall for these scams are usually the ones who wont pay for a £10 HPI check.

I believe they actually sell you the car, but its not theirs to sell and has fake docs with it. 6 months later the police turn up at your door, cease the car and tell you it belongs to a HP company, or reported stolen.

The people who fall for these scams are usually the ones who wont pay for a £10 HPI check.

So they've got a car on finance or stolen one? I'd have thought that the police could very easily catch these people then, particularly when they give themselves away by selling it so cheaply...

So they've got a car on finance or stolen one? I'd have thought that the police could very easily catch these people then, particularly when they give themselves away by selling it so cheaply...

Either/or, it was on the real hustle or some similar program a few months ago. Might not be the same scam but its the main one I believe.

The ones on HPI are gained through fraudulent documents.

Either/or, it was on the real hustle or some similar program a few months ago. Might not be the same scam but its the main one I believe.

I saw that episode. Was pretty good.

I think with scams like this Auto Trader scam, the scam artist probably doesn't even reside in this country.

I saw that episode. Was pretty good.

I think with scams like this Auto Trader scam, the scam artist probably doesn't even reside in this country.

Yeh I think I have seen one about that too, cant quiet remember the scam though.

There is no car, only some Nigerian bloke somewhere.

He'll turn round and say oh I can't afford to come over because dear old Mrs Biddy is ill, can you wire me some money over in advance/send me all your bank details/sell me your soul instead.

Which won't tell you if a loan has been taken out on the log book. Then you lose the car to the loan company unless YOU are prepared to settle the loan. If you have ANY concerns walk away, do not look back and KEEP walking. Buying a car in the UK is a true 'buyer beware' nightmare.

The third time I got a response like this, the photos attached couldn't possibly match the property. It was a 2 bedroom apartment in Sheffield and the photos showed a very rustic looking interior with exposed beams etc. I had to laugh. I followed it up as far as the stage when I was asked for bank statements then I figured it was billy bulls***

Archived